• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The benefits of learning a second language...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The benefits of learning a second language...

Have just had my first telephone interview...in Dutch, and it looks like all the time and effort is starting to pay off, because - yippee!! - I passed and get to go to a second inteview in-person next week.

What can I say, a few years ago it would have just been another position on JobServe in some foreign language which I wouldn't have bothered applying for, today its a potential well-paid contract.

So my thought, or post for the for the day...if you fancy working in Europe in the future, start learning a second language, it just might be a better investment than a .NET course.

cela va sans dire, mein freund...

Comment

...really

well done.

I used to have this opinion before I learnt German but now I'm restricted crapply paid jobs in Europe, with the additional disadvantage that the competition speak better German than I do.

Hoe gaat het?

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Surely Hindi or Mandarin would be more useful in the long term...
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

BB, so learning the German hasn't helped, or do you just have the wrong skills?

"Surely Hindi or Mandarin would be more useful in the long term..."

Hmm...sorry Mordie, a contract in Beijing or New Delhi just doesn't appeal to me right now.

Comment

...well exactly Joe perhaps I should have spent my time immersed in Java or C++ books rather than flying off to Tenerife to improve my Spanish.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

G'day,

Well I speak reasonable American and Australian!

Missing you already!

Comment

I have Mandarin, helped me win a contract doing a video device driver in Japanese. Which I then learnt.

Which is nice.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

"...well exactly Joe perhaps I should have spent my time immersed in Java or C++ books rather than flying off to Tenerife to improve my Spanish"

Can't say I've actually bought a tech book for years now, on that side of things I've generally learnt most of my stuff on the job.

The foreign language on the other hand...I've now got four dictionaries, half a dozen things on grammar, and have spent nine months doing 9 hour per week intensive courses...it's cost a bit thats for sure.

PS: threaded, I thought you invented Japanese?

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                    I have Mandarin, helped me win a contract doing a video device driver in Japanese. Which I then learnt.

Which is nice.

I prefer a Satsuma

Comment

Working...
                    X