• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apollo Guidance computer programmed...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo Guidance computer programmed...

by a long haired beatnik...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8152907.stm

23 years old...

We've all got to start somewhere, I suppose...

Mum... knit me some memory mum... mum...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...037/html/1.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8148730.stm

However, the entire computer was not so hi-tech. In order to make sure that the software was robust it was "woven" into so-called "rope core memories".

These used copper wires threaded through or around tiny magnetic cores to produce the ones and zeroes of binary code at the heart of the software.

Pass the copper wire through the core and the computer read it as a one. Pass it around and it was read as a zero.

"Once you get it wired it's not going to change without breaking those wires," said Mr Hall.

The rope core memories would become know as "LOL memory" after the "little old ladies" who knitted together the software at a factory just outside Boston.

These ladies would sit in pairs with a memory unit between them, threading metres and metres of slender copper wires through and around the cores.

"It's an extremely time-consuming process and it meant that the programs had to be finished and fully tested months in advance," said Mr Eyles.

It's only now with the perspective of 40 years that Apollo stands out as a unique event, probably never to be repeated in my lifetime

Don Eyles
    "But it is extremely robust - that information probably still exists despite being left on the Moon."
    Last edited by zeitghost; 29 March 2017, 11:25.

He wasn't worried, he knew it was all a fake really.

Comment

easy, just follow these instructions and build your own apollo spacecraft computer
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
        easy, just follow these instructions and build your own apollo spacecraft computer
        Well, that's possible now, because a geek named John Pultorak created a working reproduction of the Apollo Guidance Computer (AGC), wrote a complete manual that will allow you to build your own Apollo flight computer clone and released it in the puclic domain. Well, I think that's just incredible!
        sad

Nah! Quite an acheivement really but I couldn't resist.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          The rope core memories would become know as "LOL memory" after the "little old ladies" who knitted together the software at a factory just outside Boston.
          I think that is bollocks.

Core memory was 'core', not 'rope core memory'. As for 'LOL memory': bollocks.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            I think that is bollocks.

Core memory was 'core', not 'rope core memory'. As for 'LOL memory': bollocks.
            I suggest you read the original article and the relevant programming manuals.

Comment

Hands up if you'd have got on Apollo 11 knowing your mum had done the wiring ....
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

apparently the computer crashed when they were flying over the moon, so they told Neil Armstrong to switch it off and they landed manually.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 16 July 2009, 13:35.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Anyone?
                  <tumbleweed>
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    apparently the computer crashed due to a memory leak when they were flying over the moon, so they told Neil Armstrong to switch it off and they landed manually.
                    Nope.

It indicated an overload condition... and dumped tasks, you can't fly the LEM manually.

The problem was caused by the rendezvous radar being left on...

Comment

Working...
                    X