• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professional Indemnity Insurance, what's the point?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Professional Indemnity Insurance, what's the point?

What's the point in PI insurance?

* You have to have it during your entire contract and for six years after your contract has finished
    * If you work via an agency then the agency gets sued first
    * You can just close your company down at the first whiff of trouble
    * Costs lots of money and your chance of actually using it are almost zero
    Cats are evil.

I'd like to see some stats on how many contractors have been pursued in court and how many have successfully claimed on their PI insurance.

I'd expect the 1st number to be very small and the 2nd one to be zero.

Comment

Only bought PI insurance once, couldn't see the point after that

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post

* You have to have it during your entire contract and for six years after your contract has finished
        Exactly.
        Besides, most clients treat us like employees anyway or even temps. Any trouble and we`re kicked out the door.
        Another tax, or waste of money insurance scheme. Gives some individuals comfort I suppose, but it`s money down the pan IMO.

Comment

I'm packing mine in (Hiscox) because it's no longer relevant to what I do.

I've never known or even heard of anyone who has claimed on their PI.

If you do business with lots of a large, litigious firms, however, it's a small price to pay.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post

Some agents demand it. I suppose they reckon it costs them nothing. I've never heard of anybody claiming on it.

ISTM that you shouldn't need it. Client complains something doesn't work. Did they test it?

No ==> well bloody test it before you implement it.
            Yes ==> well sue the tester then.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              Some agents demand it. I suppose they reckon it costs them nothing. I've never heard of anybody claiming on it.

ISTM that you shouldn't need it. Client complains something doesn't work. Did they test it?

No ==> well bloody test it before you implement it.
              Yes ==> well sue the tester then.
              Some agencies demand it because they get a kickback from whoever they recommend to sell it to you.

Never heard of anyone needing this kind of insurance in the 26 years that Ive been contracting, and never shelled out for it either.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Last one I heard of was the surveyor guy who got sued coz the estate agency he'd worked for had gone bust so the customer came after him...

However, that was for a bulging wall, not bad code...

Cost him £40k though.
                No one ever got sued for 'bulging code' as far as I can recollect.

Some of my C++ was a bit thick in the middle but I think I got away with it.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

It's a contractual requirement for the direct contracts I do - and probably very relevant.

I know of a chap - who was a permie at the time - who managed to send an entire day's worth of SWIFT messages again with some careless SQL.

The bank sued the vendor (whom said chap worked for). They settled out of court for c£750k. Chap never worked on a live system again.

Had that chap been a contractor, I'm pretty sure the insurance would have come into play...
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    It's a contractual requirement for the direct contracts I do - and probably very relevant.

I know of a chap - who was a permie at the time - who managed to send an entire day's worth of SWIFT messages again with some careless SQL.

The bank sued the vendor (whom said chap worked for). They settled out of court for c£750k. Chap never worked on a live system again.

Had that chap been a contractor, I'm pretty sure the insurance would have come into play...
                    I'm fairly sure my insurance has some exclusion clause especially for when you're working in a system where an error could have an immediate financial impact. I often wonder why I bother paying for it
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X