• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

another contract lost

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another contract lost

Client just rang up. Looks like Steria are about to take over my contract in 2010. Sigh...and I've to help them get "settled in" to the code before-hand as well.... Bugger...this was my main contract.

Bit of a downer on the day.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Sorry to hear that - sounds like you still have some work left to do on that gig, so plenty of time to look for other opportunities perhaps? Chin up.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

The only thing that could save me is cost. I'm far cheaper than Steria. I'm pretty sure they would charge a minimum of £500 a day for what I charge about £230. I'm sure they'll charge support on a per-call basis whereas I just have a minimal fixed quarterly charge.

Bummer. Oh well time to apply for grants for the Docment Management product which I never seem to get time to work on. Now I will have time to work on it! (mixed emotions)
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
        The only thing that could save me is cost. I'm far cheaper than Steria. I'm pretty sure they would charge a minimum of £500 a day for what I charge about £230. I'm sure they'll charge support on a per-call basis whereas I just have a minimal fixed quarterly charge.
        Did they give a reason? Is there any scope for negotiation and perhaps shave a little off your rate?
        Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I had discussions before about bringing the support and dev. to their MIS team, but none of them are skilled programmers...not at my level anyway, so that got put aside and they signed up for another year of support. I think this is just another way to bring the support and dev. in house.

Don't know how much cheaper I can get....I'm already losing money as it is overall.

Wait til I break this to the wife...she won't be happy.

Comment

I had discussions before about bringing the support and dev. to their MIS team, but none of them are skilled programmers...not at my level anyway, so that got put aside and they signed up for another year of support. I think this is just another way to bring the support and dev. in house.

Don't know how much cheaper I can get....I'm already losing money as it is overall.

Wait til I break this to the wife...she won't be happy.
            pm me her number, I will break it to her. I am skilled and diplomatic in this fckng area.

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

so you are doing a job that the client has been happy with up to now but you are to be replaced by somebody who will be significantly more expensive. Can't see the logic there myself!
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                so you are doing a job that the client has been happy with up to now but you are to be replaced by somebody who will be significantly more expensive. Can't see the logic there myself!
                Somebody benefits. Perhaps someone in the client company prefers an expensive less-than-competent software house to a competent value-for-money contractor. Why would that be?

Comment

Bummer. Oh well time to apply for grants for the Docment Management product which I never seem to get time to work on. Now I will have time to work on it! (mixed emotions)

A mistype shirley?
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Somebody benefits. Perhaps someone in the client company prefers an expensive less-than-competent software house to a competent value-for-money contractor. Why would that be?

Jealousy. Get used to it !!

Comment

Working...
                    X