• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wrong Spec, I could have killed the agent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong Spec, I could have killed the agent

So went for an interview yesterday with a company I used to work for 2 contracts ago, prepped according to the spec, etc.

Half way through the interview I really had to ask wtf they were talking about as my understanding of the role was different.

Showed them the spec I had, and they apologised because they can see I had the wrong one.

Called up agent afterwards and let him have it down the phone.

In this kind of market we can't afford to be let down by something ridiculous like this... I mean really, JESUS!

Hopefully it went well but I was thrown off for some of the interview.

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
    Showed them the spec I had, and they apologised because they can see I had the wrong one.
    If you don't get a gig from it, submit an invoice for the time + travel. I've done that and been paid.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      If you don't get a gig from it, submit an invoice for the time + travel. I've done that and been paid.
      Makes sense. I went all the way to the client site based on the wrong spec so that is grounds enough to charge the agency - if I don't get the gig.

Comment

only 2 specs in the equation?

I once had a situation where I, the agent and the client all had substantially different specs

couldn't get through to the agent afterwards - wrote to them to highlight what had happened.

I didn't get so much as a thank you for providing the clarification never mind an apology

Comment

Same happened to me a couple of years back

Agent apologised but never got interviewed for the role that I originally applied for. Luckily it was only a phone interview.

Another memorable incident was the time that I had a phone interview with the client only for them not to ring, went back to agent who told me that the client had apologised as there'd been an emergency on site. Thought fair enough so agreed to another phone interview. Again a no show from the client and this time no explanation/apology.

Comment

Originally posted by mace View Post
            Again a no show from the client
            A year or two ago I had a series of these with Norwich Bunion. They were recruiting scores of PMs and all sorts of different teams were involved. I must have had four telephone interview appointments and they kept none of them.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
              So went for an interview yesterday with a company I used to work for 2 contracts ago, prepped according to the spec, etc.

Half way through the interview I really had to ask wtf they were talking about as my understanding of the role was different.

Called up agent afterwards and let him have it down the phone.

In this kind of market we can't afford to be let down by something ridiculous like this... I mean really, JESUS!

Hopefully it went well but I was thrown off for some of the interview.
              Maybe not the agents fault - could just as easily be the clients. In my experience - 20 years contracting - I've found clients to often be more dozy than the agents.

I drove over 100 miles round-trip at lunchtime in the middle of one contract to attend an interview for another. I get there and they start interviewing me about products I'd never even heard of; I asked them to point out where on my CV any of these products were listed. Of course they couldn't. That wasn't the agents fault, they had just given him a duff spec.

Went to another interview with Goldman Sachs. They started asking me *detailed* questions about Netscape Server. I said "I've never seen, let alone used, Netscape Server in my life. And you won't find it on my cv." Still, that didn't stop the guy in the interview going through his 10 questions on Netscape Server for the next 15 minutes! Again, the agency apologised. Dumb client to blame.

People, eh?

Nomadd
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Same thing happened to me last week. I feel your pain

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                  I drove over 100 miles round-trip at lunchtime in the middle of one contract to attend an interview for another.
                  That's quite impressive. Journey + interview in the same time it takes me to buy and eat a sandwich

Comment

Originally posted by EddieNambulous View Post
                    That's quite impressive. Journey + interview in the same time it takes me to buy and eat a sandwich
                    Took 45 mins to get there, 30 minute interview, 45 mins back. So a loooong lunchhour. It would have taken even longer if I hadn't been using a motorcycle to cut through the traffic. I'd OK'd it with my current manager first, so no problems there: I just worked late that day.

Still didn't leave me feeling good after all the timewasting, though!

Nomadd
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                    X