• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Open university degree

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open university degree

Hey, slow friday here...so ideas are flying

I left school at 16, so no A-levels or degree...but have 9 years coding experience now...and getting a good rate.

Have been looking through the Open uni prospectus, not really sure what to do...thinking about Maths or biology... Dont see the point in doing computing (I know it all already innit).

Anyone have any experience?
    What is the general opinion on Open uni degrees?

Was thinking a maths or a statistics degree could help get me some finance contracts, although this isn't the reason for doing it.

Thanking yous

Nah don't bother. Expertise in hard stuff isn't rewarded in this country anymore. Do a one-day soft-skills course in how to bulltulip. Much cheaper and a far better investment for the post-industrial future.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post

I left school at 16, so no A-levels or degree...but have 9 years coding experience now...and getting a good rate.

Have been looking through the Open uni prospectus, not really sure what to do...thinking about Maths or biology... Dont see the point in doing computing (I know it all already innit).

Was thinking a maths or a statistics degree could help get me some finance contracts, although this isn't the reason for doing it.

Thanking yous
      Whilst the people here on this site would typically extract the urine from someone who's interested in self-improvement I'm not going to. You, sir, have my admiration for even considering this.

I've worked with a couple of guys who were doing OU degrees at the same time as working full-time and I've nothing but admiration for the amount of work necessary to achieve this.

That some employers consider a red-brick (like mine) to be of more value than someone with the university-of-life plus an OU degree (whether than be a first or post-grad) seems to be academic snobbery of the worst possible kind.

/rant

Comment

Thanking yous
        I didn't do the OU but did study computing part time because I was interested in all the stuff I didn't know. Amazingly, there was rather a lot I didn't know.

I'd find something you are likely to be really interested in - it doesn't half help when you are writing stupid essays at 2am. And you have to get up for work the next day.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I have a computer science degree. It's mostly stuff that you'll never (or very seldom) encounter in the commercial world. So I wouldn't throw the idea out straight off.

In fact most "proper" degrees have little to do with the real world. The enhancment in your career prospects it simply the having a degree, and showing that you could get one. Unless you're an engineer, I guess.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Nah, definitely not computing - You'll just sully your practical experience with a lot of academic mumbo jumbo.

But maths is well worth doing for its own sake, and (in some circs) is a big help with computing.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Can you do an OU law degree or medical degree?

Law and medicine is recession proof.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Law ... is recession proof.
                ... provided you go to India and work from there.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Can you do an OU law degree or medical degree?

Law and medicine is recession proof.
                  Law = I believe so

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    I have a computer science degree. It's mostly stuff that you'll never (or very seldom) encounter in the commercial world. So I wouldn't throw the idea out straight off.

In fact most "proper" degrees have little to do with the real world. The enhancment in your career prospects it simply the having a degree, and showing that you could get one. Unless you're an engineer, I guess.
                    I disagree, I think a degree teaches you how to think about the subject, research etc. I would not be able to do my current role without one.

There are people who don't need degrees, but they are very smart and these thing come naturally to them. I am not one of them. I needed the six year at uni and I still can't spell, but at least I can read now.
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                    X