• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A French lesson in negotiating a redundancy package

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A French lesson in negotiating a redundancy package

US firm averts French explosion
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8156329.stm

A US construction equipment firm has agreed to pay extra compensation to French workers who had threatened to explode gas canisters at their plant.

Staff at JLG Industries in Tonneins, south-western France, made the threat in order to get better redundancy terms for 53 workers.

It is the third such incident in which workers have threatened violence against employers.

Elsewhere, French workers have taken managers hostage in "boss-nappings".

The French Employment Minister, Laurent Wauquiez, described the tactics as "blackmail".

In the JLG deal, the 53 affected workers were each guaranteed 30,000 euros (£26,000; $42,000) in severance pay.

JLG Industries is a subsidiary of the US company Oshkosh, which makes cranes and work platforms.

Meanwhile, a tense stand-off continues at the bankrupt New Fabris car plant in Chatellerault, south-west of Paris, where workers have also made a threat to blow up the factory.

They have given a 31 July deadline for Renault and Peugeot, which provided 90% of the plant's work, to pay them 30,000 euros each.

Renault and PSA Peugeot said it was not their responsibility to pay workers.

The BBC's Emma Jane Kirby in Paris says there is an acute sense of injustice in France at the moment, with many workers complaining that while their bosses continue to reap company benefits and bonuses, they are paying for this economic crisis with their jobs.

--------------------------------
    Crikey, they don't mess about do they.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

We would have banged them up for 28 days under terrorism laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
      After the 42 days for questioning.

Comment

Bloody right too. That stupid witch Thatcher is to blame for weak and ineffective unions in this country allowing boardroom fat cats to continue taking the p155 with their own packages and screwing the workforce and their communities for their own personal gain.
        Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
          Bloody right too. That stupid witch Thatcher is to blame for weak and ineffective unions in this country allowing boardroom fat cats to continue taking the p155 with their own packages and screwing the workforce and their communities for their own personal gain.
          Indeed, while the Unions were barking mad and vastly too powerful the Thatcher effect swung the pendulum to an equal extreme in the other direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
            Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            After the 42 days for questioning.
            And then allowed them to be extradited to the USA.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              Indeed, while the Unions were barking mad and vastly too powerful the Thatcher effect swung the pendulum to an equal extreme in the other direction.
              My parents, even as long term Conservative voters, came to that conclusion in the mid-1980s. They were old enough to remember some of the good things that unions had done before the madness set in, and thought Thatcher had gone too far.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                My parents, even as long term Conservative voters, came to that conclusion in the mid-1980s. They were old enough to remember some of the good things that unions had done before the madness set in, and thought Thatcher had gone too far.
                Such as???

Unions are parasitic snakes of the worst kind.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                  Remind me, I forget. What are the best kinds of parasitic snake?
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                    Such as???

Health and safety for starters.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X