• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear: Debt 'way of life' for under-25s

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear: Debt 'way of life' for under-25s

BBC website: Debt 'way of life' for under-25s
    In 2002, less than 6% of the Consumer Credit Counselling Service's (CCCS) clients were under 25 years of age. But during the first half of 2005, nearly 13% of people needing debt advice were aged between 18 and 25.

The CCCS said the increase was due to young people embracing freely available credit as a "way of life." According to Malcolm Hurlston, CCCS chairman, "Credit cards have blurred the distinction between borrowing and spending and for many young people, student loans have made borrowing normal. Bankruptcy figures are soaring."
    Who cares. As long as they keep spending, the economy will keep sailing Gordon Brown's steady course.

At least they are having fun. Probably. Isn't that what its all about? Fun with a touch of practicality is what I like.

Maybe they'll all become contractors and pay off their massive debts in not time!

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Send the under 25's back where they came from!

(Except for my girlfriend)

P.S Sorry - couldnt resist.......

McQuiggd, aged 36 and 3/4......

Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
        Send the under 25's back where they came from!

(Except for my girlfriend)

P.S Sorry - couldnt resist.......

McQuiggd, aged 36 and 3/4.......
        Just a quick question mcquiggd. If you have a nubile young girlfriend, what are you doing posting on a computer geek bulletin board at 2 o'clock on a Saturday morning? Shouldn't you just be finishing off the last bottle of champers and line of charlie at a trendy club before banging her senseless for the rest of the night? BTW, you can't really class the young lady on the front page of teen-girlies.com you "say goodnight to with a jaunty one-handed wave" before the shutting down the PC for the evening as your girlfriend.

[So says the sad tw@t posting on a computer geek bulletin board on a Saturday afternoon, but his excuse is otherwise he'd be doing some gardening.]

Comment

Hello Lucifer. I've got loads of paperwork to do as well.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
            Hello Lucifer. I've got loads of paperwork to do as well.
            Hello wendigo. I've just had enough of watching TB make a fool of himself as a footy pundit, so I've run out of excuses. Mrs Lucifer will tolerate no more delay in pruning the roses.

Comment

Debt and 25

I'm 28. Only contracting has saved me. In my early 20's I was in far too much debt. I consider myself a lucky one. For people up and down the country earning 20-35k - I'm guessing this is pretty much the median - I don't know how they will cope. The richer Britain becomes, the more we educate ourselves that we have the right to live the lavish lifestyles we do. I now spend less money as a contractor than I did when I was a permie, I have seen the error of my ways. Consumerism is a temporary high that I fear may have a bigger low for Britain.

Comment

seconded,

crikey, similar situation !

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Prune the roses be buggered.

It's currently like a monsoon out there.

Unfortunately, the rain ain't warm.
                  Funny that. Here in SW19 the forecast was severe weather warnings and for it to p1ss down all day and we didn't see a drop - in fact it was blue sky and sunny for extended periods. I was banking on a quiet day watching Grandstand but the lack of rain meant gardening ahoy (if I knew what was good for me, as Mrs Lucifer so eloquently pointed out).

Comment

Working...
                  X