• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Prescription goggles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prescription goggles

I'm off on me hols soon and I really enjoy snorkelling on holiday, I was also considering having a go at scuba diving this year too.
    I was thinking of getting some goggles fitted with my prescription, so I could see more clearly underwater. I don't wear contact lenses
    Has anyone done this?
    Is it worth it?

Cheers

Pogle

why does sn ork ell ing come out all wrong - don't tell me its the name for some dubious sexual practice - ffs!
    Last edited by Pogle; 19 July 2009, 08:10. Reason: stupid swearing filter
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    I'm off on me hols soon and I really enjoy siamapratelling on holiday, I was also considering having a go at scuba diving this year too.
    I was thinking of getting some goggles fitted with my prescription, so I could see more clearly underwater. I don't wear contact lenses
    Has anyone done this?
    Is it worth it?

Cheers

Pogle
    Hello

1. Yes, it's possible to get optically corrected masks (but I'm not sure how expensive they are, or otherwise - when I'm diving and I'm 200ft underwater I'd rather not think about the fact that I'm obscenely somewhere that I'm not supposed to be biologically)

2. If you're doing it for the first time you might want to consider getting hold of a normal mask and then - if you decide you enjoy it - then investing in a mask afterwards. Depends on your prescription, I believe.

Have you considered LASIK / LASEK?

Oh and with the sweary words, n0rk = iamaprat, according to the CUK filters.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
      Hello

1. Yes, it's possible to get optically corrected masks (but I'm not sure how expensive they are, or otherwise - when I'm diving and I'm 200ft underwater I'd rather not think about the fact that I'm obscenely somewhere that I'm not supposed to be biologically)

2. If you're doing it for the first time you might want to consider getting hold of a normal mask and then - if you decide you enjoy it - then investing in a mask afterwards. Depends on your prescription, I believe.

Have you considered LASIK / LASEK?

[I]Oh and with the sweary words, n0rk = iamaprat, according to the CUK filters.[/I]
      Yeah I just worked that one out!

I'm not sure if I'll take to the scuba diving, but I LOVE sno orkling and spend days in the water on holiday, so it was mainly for that that I wanted them. I'd like to be able to see all the crabs and octopuses a bit clearer

as for LASIK - NO WAY! I have a friend who has had the sight in one eye permanently damaged with laser eye surgery
      Also, I like peering disapprovingly over the top of my glasses at young men who talk BS at work

Comment

Yeah I just worked that one out!

I'm not sure if I'll take to the scuba diving, but I LOVE sno orkling and spend days in the water on holiday, so it was mainly for that that I wanted them. I'd like to be able to see all the crabs and octopuses a bit clearer

as for LASIK - NO WAY! I have a friend who has had the sight in one eye permanently damaged with laser eye surgery
        Also, I like peering disapprovingly over the top of my glasses at young men who talk BS at work
        You are Mrs Robinson, AICMFP

As for LASIK - agreed. Not nearly enough scientific evidence for it yet. Wuss, moi? Yup. And anyway, I look very sexy in glasses and like a git without them.

Comment

Prescription masks are reasonably cheap these days (adds about £50 to the cost of a mask) but you'll need to go to a dive shop to get them.

You should always try a mask before you buy as you want it to "stick" to your face - ladies tend to like a smaller mask, but if you like the fishies you want as big a view as possible so go for what ever "feels" best.

If you don't want to go the whole hog just yet you can get an old pair of glasses, rip the lenses out and glue them to the inside of a cheapy mask...
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I'm off on me hols soon and I really enjoy siamapratelling on holiday, I was also considering having a go at scuba diving this year too.
            Has anyone done this?
            Is it worth it?

Cheers

Pogle

why does sn ork ell ing come out all wrong - don't tell me its the name for some dubious sexual practice - ffs!
            I use disposable contact lenses...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              I use a submarine.

Threaded
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I had* a pair of these and they are well worth it. Take your prescription into a good dive shop and they should be able to sort you out easily. I got mine from selfridges years ago, but I don't think they have a dive shop any more. Thinks look a bit off when you put them on in air but under water they are great.

* Lost them when ex-mrs HAB was clearing out stuff.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  I cant really do the 'shoving something on my eye thing' I'm a bit squeamish about eyes, plus I quite like my face furniture

Can you swim in contact lenses too?

Comment

Prescription goggles
                    I am so disappointed to find this thread is about prescription goggles.

I was expecting Pamela Anderson or Jordan-related information.

<sigh>
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X