• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Street parties

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Street parties

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8157842.stm

Anyone remember 77' & 81'? I didn't even know about this until today.

I remember every street having bunting, tables of food and dustbins full of punch. Sadly I can't envisage that sort of neighbourly frivolity happening in this day and age.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

I remember every street having bunting, tables of food and dustbins full of punch. Sadly I can't envisage that sort of neighbourly frivolity happening in this day and age.
    We've got a *VERY* loud one outside at the moment which for a variety of reasons (not least of which being work) I'm not at. Which that they'd STFU as I'm busily trying to listen to Spotify (David Gray) whilst I'm working.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

They have (at least) one every year in my village. The next one is imminent. As the family home is the centre of the village, we're in the thick of it.

Wife loves it, kids love, I ferking hate it. My only hope is to get pissed enough down the pub first so I can tolerate it.

BTW this is a 'street party' that starts about 2pm and goes on until 2am, with loud, crap, local bands, blasting it out like Spinal Tap turned up to 11.

No kids eating jelly and jam sandwiches at a table, more like 12 hours of BBQ fumes and food dropped all over the road.

Ah! The peace and quiet of rural English village life - NOT.

I've lived here for 15 years and it's gone down hill every year.

Can't wait to get back to BC.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
        I've lived here for 15 years and it's gone down hill every year.

Sounds good, can I do that too?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          Sounds good, can I do that too?
          Sure, but you'd have to hide in my hold baggage.

Seriously though, Canada seems like you're breathing different air than the UK or the USA - not because of climate - just the sense of relief that there is not some overweening, authoritarian state, crushing you.

Viva Vancouver

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Yes, I am sure the Annual seal-clubbing jamboree beats our quaint yet banal festivities all ends up.
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              Yes, I am sure the Annual seal-clubbing jamboree beats our quaint yet banal festivities all ends up.
              I've never yet seen a seal, let alone a seal-clubbing in Vancouver. I understand it mostly goes on in the Arctic territories.

Comment

I've never yet seen a seal, let alone a seal-clubbing in Vancouver. I understand it mostly goes on in the Arctic territories.
                Yup. That's Labrador, Quebec and then further north into Nunavut.

Comment

Sure, but you'd have to hide in my hold baggage.

Seriously though, Canada seems like you're breathing different air than the UK or the USA - not because of climate - just the sense of relief that there is not some overweening, authoritarian state, crushing you.

Viva Vancouver
                  Interesting you say that. The company I'm working for has been pushing for some time for me to move to Vancouver where they're setting up a new operation. Girlie doesn't want to move and Plan B requires me to be here at least for a couple of years.

Anything you could say that would help change her mind? I'm going over in September for a couple of weeks to meet up with the guys for a part work part holiday thing and get a chance to look around.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                    Yup. That's Labrador, Quebec and then further north into Nunavut.
                    Exactly. That's why it's rather disappointing to see the likes of shaunbhoy tar the entire (massive) territory with the behaviour of people in a few remote regions. Not that those people are wrong to kill seals.

Comment

Working...
                    X