• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One Teen's Contribution to the Internet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting interview from the NYtimes (especially for wannabe bill gates like atw )

A few weeks ago, "CBS News Sunday Morning" broadcast my profile of four people who've made gigantic, culture-changing contributions to the Internet while still in their teens.
    Continue reading.

As usual, though, it killed me that from each hour-long interview, we could air only a few sentences in the finished 8-minute segment. So I thought I'd share a greater slice of one of the transcripts with you, my Internet-savvy readers.

The subject is Blake Ross, who began working at Netscape at the tender age of 14. By 19, he had co-created Firefox: a free, highly regarded, open-source Web browser that, in its very short life, has been downloaded 100 million times, in the process stealing over ten percent of the browser market away from Microsoft. He's now on leave from Stanford, where I met him in his studio apartment. DP: So what, exactly, is Firefox?

BR: Firefox is a Web browser. Kind of a competitor for Internet Explorer, but made for the average person. Made for people who don't want to spend all day cursing at the computer. We want you to surf the Web without worrying about spyware, viruses, or pop-up ads.

DP: And how were you, a bunch of volunteers, able to do this when the best and the brightest, highest paid programmers from Microsoft could not?

BR: First of all, they dropped the ball. Internet Explorer hasn't been updated since 2001. And so when Microsoft basically disbanded the Internet Explorer team, the Web started to outpace the Web browser.

We guide our development by what our users want, not by the dollar. You know, no other factors come into play except these features that people are asking for. So basically I go home and I say, "Hey, Mom, you know, what's still wrong with the internet? What's bothering you?" And she tells me.

DP: You ask your mom?

BR: Well, she'll yell at me. And I'll say, "Mom, calm down. What's wrong?" And then I'll fix that.

DP: I wonder why Bill Gates's mom couldn't do the same thing?

BR: Yeah (laughs).

DP: How does the open source movement work, and what was your role?

BR: Firefox is an open-source product, the result of tens of thousands of volunteers all over the world. People in Europe can be coordinating with people in the United States, can be coordinating with people in Africa. All putting the user input into this browser. It's really a global effort.

My role, along with another teammate at Netscape, was--we looked at this Mozilla browser and we said, "We have great technology here. But nobody's using it. What's the problem there?"

And talking to other users, we found out that it was just too hard for them to use. So we just stripped everything out of Mozilla. And we redesigned features and the entire user interface to streamline everything-- to make it as simple as possible.

DP: So are you getting rich?

BR: I'm not making a dime off of Firefox. But it's enough for me to get an email from a grandfather in Mississippi telling me that he can finally get on the Web and communicate with his grandchildren.

Of course, Firefox itself opened up a world of possibilities for me personally. You know, I'm working on a start-up right now. It's much easier to get funded. It's much easier to get my name out there than it used to be.

DP: What I can't understand is, when I was a teenager, I had more than enough other stuff like social life and learning to drive and going to school and everything else. How are you able to do something of this magnitude while you're 14, 15, 16?

BR: Basically, I had to sacrifice any semblance of a normal social life while I was in high school. I just kind of gave up, you know, parties and going out with friends. All of it went toward this project. I think it's paying off now.

DP: All of the people that we're talking for this story started in their early teens. And all of them made their marks in Internet-related fields. Is the Internet what's allowing very young people to achieve extraordinary things? Or could smart, ambitious people have made their mark in some other area at that young an age?

BR: Yeah, the Internet is really the great equalizer. It really levels the playing field. There's absolutely nothing else stopping me from writing a great piece of software and just putting it out there on the Web for anyone to use. And it doesn't matter if it came from a 50- year-old experienced software developer or it came from a 19-year-old kid in California. If it's good software, people will use it.

DP: Has your youth been in any way a liability?

BR: I don't consider myself young! I'm worried about kids coming in and just totally replacing me. I'm actually frightened to see what the generation after me comes up with. The next generation is these kids that have grown up on the Internet. That are turning in their homework via email in first grade.

DP: Isn't it true that part of Firefox's security reputation has to do with the fact that it is so small, that it's not worth these hackers to write an exploit for such a small market? Don't you think that when FireFox is 60 percent of the Web, the great eye of the virus writers will turn to it?

BR: I think the eye has already turned to it, actually. We're speeding towards 60 million downloads note: the tally is now over 100 million]. That's plenty big enough base for any virus writer I know. So they're trying. They're just not succeeding.

DP: Let's say your new start-up is a huge success. And you become the--you know, people are calling you the New Bill Gates. I've seen this in print.

BR: Me too.

DP: So what if you became the New Bill Gates? What would you do differently?

BR: Actually, the funny thing is that people assume that I'm gonna be in the computer industry forever, and I'm not sure that's the case. I think I've got a couple more years in me in the computer industry. I've actually had these secret ambitions to write either films or novels. I think life's too short to do anything for too long.

interesting. but can I have a managment summery please.
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Comment

He sure will get a good job in the future.

Comment

He'll need to if he's not making any money out of what he's doing at the moment.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
          He'll need to if he's not making any money out of what he's doing at the moment.
          Nah, he is in this blessed age when he can just go to Uni and program all sort of free projects for a few years.

Comment

anyone using flock yet?

www.flock.com

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              Nah, he is in this blessed age when he can just go to Uni and program all sort of free projects for a few years.
              And sponge off someone else? Fkin parasite. He should get a bleedin job.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
                And sponge off someone else? Fkin parasite. He should get a bleedin job.
                He is likely to get a hefty grant and study in Stanford or something like that.

Comment

Thing is, if you use IE properly, its a very rich application environment.... the fact that most people dont useit properly is, admittedly slowly, being addressed by MS....

I suppose thats why Insurance and Credit companies look at your profile - if you fit into the 'im too dumb to drive a computer' bracket, you get one product offered to you... if you know what you are doing, you have something else offered....
                  Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
                  X