• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Henry Allingham RIP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Henry Allingham RIP

I doff my hat sir!

Sad day.

I saw some of the interviews with him, to be that with-it at 113 is astonishing!

Very unassuming, but brave man. To want to learn to fly when the success (and death rate) was so high - I doff my hat to him.
    Beer
    is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

An inspiration. What a boy.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I was at the Cenotaph last year for the 80th commemoration of the Armistice.

Isn't it the case that Mr Allingham was the chap who wanted to get out of his chair to lay the wreath himself?

RIP sir. Your work here is done.

Comment

A fantastic example of the quality of his generation. Despite his years he never forgot the mates he served alongside. An inspirational character in every sense. Rest in Peace.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            A fantastic example of the quality of his generation. Despite his years he never forgot the mates he served alongside. An inspirational character in every sense. Rest in Peace.
            Agreed. Truely an inspiration.
            The vegetarian option.

Comment

And like all true heroes, was adamant that everyone else was the hero, not him.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Hope they grabbed a sample of his DNA to sequence, as an age research project.

For him to live that long, his chromosomes must have had telomeres as long as your arm.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  And like all true heroes, was adamant that everyone else was the hero, not him.
                  Absolutely. An equally adamant that, other soldiers have said in the past, an intelligent soldier must be anti-war.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                    Absolutely. An equally adamant that, other soldiers have said in the past, an intelligent soldier must be anti-war.
                    Saw a recording of him speaking to school kids. He was superb. Gave a decent balance between duty, futility and horror.
                    Remarkable in so many ways.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X