• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Morality of working through a Composite Umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morality of working through a Composite Umbrella

Why is it considered okay for a UK based contractor, working at a UK based client, through a UK based agency to work through an offshore registered composite company that pays no tax in the UK?

The same contractor (who contributes nothing to the economy) will quite happily use the NHS, send his kids to UK schools and expect an immediate response from the police if his car is broken into.

What's the difference between this guy and someone who lies on his tax return?

Why should we subsidise this guy's life in the UK?

A thief's a thief in my book...

Re:Tax is Theft

It's our money and the government have to justify taking it. If they're too disorganised to legislate to get the tax they need to keep going that's their problem. In fact, why do we need central government?

Comment

Originally posted by Miler
      Why is it considered okay for a UK based contractor, working at a UK based client, through a UK based agency to work through an offshore registered composite company that pays no tax in the UK?

The same contractor (who contributes nothing to the economy) will quite happily use the NHS, send his kids to UK schools and expect an immediate response from the police if his car is broken into.

Yeah, right on, comrade. Workers of the world, unite! Property is theft, etc.

If it's legal, it's okay legally. We cannot bang up people acting immorally (because that is subjective) but legally. If you feel strongly, lobby your MP for a change in the law.

Alternatively, let me put it to you another way...

Why is it considered okay for a perfectly fit person, resident in the UK, to be paid by the state (i.e. other taxpayers) to stay at home doing nothing?

The same person (who genuinely contributes nothing to the economy, unlike in the previous example) will quite happily use the NHS, send his kids to UK schools and expect an immediate response from the police if his car is broken into.

Last edited by Lucifer Box; 4 November 2005, 15:06.

Comment

What an appalling attitude. The economy is suffering as a direct result of your greed.

The lost revenue runs into 100's of millions annually. This is cash that is desperately needed for public services.

This will be brought to the attention of the IR and, hopefully, these schemes will be outlawed.

Then you'll have to start stealing your kids' pocket money again...

Comment

What an appalling attitude. The economy is suffering as a direct result of your greed.

The lost revenue runs into 100's of millions annually. This is cash that is desperately needed for public services.

This will be brought to the attention of the IR and, hopefully, these schemes will be outlawed.

You're right, Comrade, no sleep for me tonight. Curse my stinking capitalist ways. I assume you, naturally, arrange your affairs such that you pay the maximum tax possible? Perhaps donate a little extra as well?

Comment

Miler

Actually, Hector has noticed. Go read the Dec 2004 PBR properly. The sequence would appear to be UBTs, other offshores, onshore composites, some umbrellas. All back-dateable for Dec 2004. And all perfectly legal, by the way.

Don't suppose you voted for NL last time round, did you? Now that's an immoral act...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I have to say this guy Miler is quite funny!
              Been rejected by an offshore scheme perhaps?
              Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Miler
                Not worth listening to
                Never has that title been more true

Comment

tax

The economy is suffering because too much tax is being squandered on political causes. Unlike as with everything else we spend our money on we have been brainwashed (by people like you) into believing that paying tax is a moral obligation, so we rarely demand value for our money.

If you are a civil servant finding life a little tough then may I urge more contractors to take the "offshore" solution.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

NO! I won't stand for that! There is one reason why the economy of this country is suffering. Actually there are TWO reasons why the economy of this country is suffering.

1) Threaded has moved to Denmark. Without his enormous spending power and skillset the country is bound to suffer.

2) My incompetence. I work on some of the nation's biggest public sector projects and with me at the helm things can only go down hill fast. Would you trust me to run a bath? No, of course not. I'd fill the bath with mud whelks and hide in the cupboard. So it's little surprise that the country is falling apart. I'm sorry. It's all my fault.
                    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Working...
                    X