• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Am I allowed/right to choose own umbrella co?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am currently work in an IT company > agency > umbrella

Am I allowed or have the right to choose my own preferred choice of umbrella co? My current agency cannot force me to choose an umbrella company they want?

Or even the end company I work for can force me to or not ?

i have been asked to repost ref http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...brella-co.html
    Last edited by cv65user; 20 July 2009, 10:00.

Exactly the same question has been asked in another post.

See here.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...companies.html
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

So basically, I think they can. If you don't want to they can simply find another contractor who will.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        So basically, I think they can. If you don't want to they can simply find another contractor who will.

Not if the client wants you!

El*n tried this on me, but the client replaced them with an agent that let me use my own company or umbrella...

Comment

Wel, I've no time for people who work through brollies. But, I'd say never work through an agency that wont let you chose how you want to work.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Quite a few agencies (including Aston Carter) refused to use montpelier. Nothing that can be done to stop them.

I have heard rumours that Aston Carter have their own brolly they try to get people to use. I doubt its true.

Comment

I'll defer to people who have used brollies.

I've never used them myself...

IANAA, obv...

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                Wel, I've no time for people who work through brollies.
                That's an absurd statement, there are many valid reasons that people would decide (or be forced via circumstances) to work through an Umbrella rather than a Ltd, it's personal choice.

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                But, I'd say never work through an agency that wont let you chose how you want to work.
                Many people don't have the luxury of turning down a contract because of a point of irrelevant principle, don't be so daft.

An Agency can dictate what companies they will issue contracts to so long as they don't breach descrimination, criminal or employment laws while doing so. Admittedly their motivation can be kickbacks, but there are quite a few valid reasons that they may decline to do business with one Umbrella or another.

Comment

well yeah fully agreed, if I was to work for agency I do not take home as much as I would get through an umbrella company I presume its because s/he assumes we are tax dodgers. I am happy with the pay I get through an umbrella without even tax subsistences. so not all umbrella workers are whatever you assume we are.

As well as in this climate you can be stubborn as you wish. But I definately do not have the luxury/work experience of turning down job from agency.

However I might consider paying the £80 fee to register myself so I can invoice my client direct. -When I have found out more research on how to do it. So this is my primary reason why I havent gone LTD as I just dont know how to yet. But we shall see in due course after I understand the admin/book keeping behind it.
                  Last edited by cv65user; 21 July 2009, 08:17.

Comment

Originally posted by cv65user View Post
                    well yeah fully agreed, if I was to work for agency I do not take home as much as I would get through an umbrella company I presume its because s/he assumes we are tax dodgers. I am happy with the pay I get through an umbrella without even tax subsistences. so not all umbrella workers are whatever you assume we are.

As well as in this climate you can be stubborn as you wish. But I definately do not have the luxury/work experience of turning down job from agency.

However I might consider paying the £80 fee to register myself so I can invoice my client direct. -When I have found out more research on how to do it. So this is my primary reason why I havent gone LTD as I just dont know how to yet. But we shall see in due course after I understand the admin/book keeping behind it.
                    You need to do a LOT of research because i don't think you got a single thing right in the above text...except that you need to do more research

Comment

Working...
                    X