• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of the 99p price tag

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of the 99p price tag

Linky...
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    <CyberGunt>
    This would never have happened under the Tories.
    </CyberGunt>
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

There used to be a 98p shop on the Seven Sisters Road. (still is, for all I know). Beat that!

Comment

Using the 99-pence price tag originally developed as a sales tool to make items appear cheaper, Dr Lewis says.
        A common fallacy.

The "£x and 99p" price was done to force the cashier to open the cash drawer. Virtually everyone waited for their 1p (or 1 cent as it was a Merkin idea) so the cashier had to ring up the sale and deposit the notes.

It was devised to stop cashiers pocketing the bank notes without ringing up the sale.

Now that everyone is paying in plastic, the technique is irrelevant.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I thought the reason for 99p instead of £1 was to force shop workers to go into the till so stopping them pocketing the £1?

Comment

Couldn't the cashier just scam that by bringing a handful of 1p's to work?

Comment

and I always thought it was to make the product seem to be a lot cheaper than it was

e.g. £9.99 is 'under a tenner'
              £99.99 is less than a hundred pounds

Comment

M&S done this years ago however if you buy a £1 marked item at the moment they give you 2p change because of the VAT reduction.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                  Couldn't the cashier just scam that by bringing a handful of 1p's to work?
                  All supermarkets have a policy to summarily sack staff for having change on their person on the shop floor.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I always thought it was to make things appear cheaper .... if that's not the case, why are all these JML garbage items sold at £19.95 ???
                    The close proximity of the letters 'G' and 'T' are the reason I'll never again send an important email and end it with "Regards" ....

Comment

Working...
                    X