• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Life after contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life after contracting

Life after contracting. What will you do?

Guess it depends when you give it up.

Will you do it for another 10 years and retire.

Or will you just do it until you've cleared your mortgage, debts and have a BTL.

If you had to choose a completely different career, within reason (exclude sports superstar careers here, and certain acting roles), looking to dedicate 10+ years to it... what would it be?

I guess money is less of an issue as you've made enough from your contracting to own property and set up investments.

What would you do?

The way things are going hen I stop contracting I will be carried out in a box.

Comment

Been collecting retirement cash for the last 10 years and will have enough by Christmas. Also been planning 'retirement' (aka not working in IT, but something more interesting and not necessarily for the money- a portfolio of interests) for the last 4 years. The building of our retirement pad starts in 2 weeks and will be complete by the end of the year.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
        - a portfolio of interests
        give us some ideas

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
          give us some ideas
          Large scale organic gardening
          Rare breed farming
          Fish farm
          Vintage car restoration
          Commodities and currency trading
          High end real estate rental
          Ad hoc consultancy for previous friends and clients
          Inventing million selling products
          Antiques dealing
          Software and hardware design
          Micro businesses incubation

All profitable but not so unwieldy that it will take more than my extended family to manage.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
            Large scale organic gardening
            Rare breed farming
            Fish farm
            Vintage car restoration
            Commodities and currency trading
            High end real estate rental
            Ad hoc consultancy for previous friends and clients
            Inventing million selling products
            Antiques dealing
            Software and hardware design
            Micro businesses incubation

All profitable but not so unwieldy that it will take more than my extended family to manage.

PZZ
            ok, but all money-orientated it seems to me

Comment

I wonder if there is a Large scale organic gardening forum somewhere with a bored farmer pondering a move to IT Contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                I wonder if there is a Large scale organic gardening forum somewhere with a bored farmer pondering a move to IT Contracting.
                www.ukcucumber.com or something ?

Comment

no. It would be called corn-tractor UK.

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
                    Life after contracting. What will you do?
                    Dirty old pervert hanging out in dodgy bars all day. I'm in training now.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X