• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It hasn't been this big since 1974

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It hasn't been this big since 1974

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8160614.stm

Total outstanding government debt in the UK has risen to a record £799bn, or 56.6% of UK GDP - the highest since records began in 1974.

Didn't we have a Labour government then as well?

Is there a pattern emerging?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

You are CyberTory and I claim my £5.

Comment

Only effectively from October onwards.
      Last edited by thunderlizard; 21 July 2009, 10:06. Reason: Remembered it was Oct, not Nov

Comment

Bah, 2 data points is statistically irrelevant. Just a coincidence
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Total outstanding government debt in the UK has risen to a record £799bn, or 56.6% of UK GDP - the highest since records began in 1974.
          Seriously, are there no government accounts records going back further than 1974?

This reminds me of a Simpsons quote:

Homer: Lisa, there's no record of there ever being a hurricaine in Springfield.
          Lisa: Yes but the records only go back to 1974 when the records office was mysteriously blown away.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Seriously, are there no government accounts records going back further than 1974?

This reminds me of a Simpsons quote:

Homer: Lisa, there's no record of there ever being a hurricaine in Springfield.
            Lisa: Yes but the records only go back to 1974 when the records office was mysteriously blown away.

Comment

Paying Richard the Lionheart's ransom of 150,000 marks resulted in a national debt of 300% GDP. That was in the 1190s so a bit before my time.

Comment

I've said all along that we are losing a billion pounds every two days. This just underlines further that dire situation and the need for HMG to stop wasting money. The sooner that they start making savings, the less we will have to pay later, but they just seem too thick to understand this simple truth.
                Last edited by Cyberman; 21 July 2009, 11:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  I've said all along that we are losing a billion pounds every two days. This just underlines further that dire situation and the need for HMG to stop wasting money. The sooner that they start making savings, the less we will have to pay later, but they just seem to thick to understand this simple truth.
                  I think the forecoming election in May next year might have something to do with it. But I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                    I've said all along that we are losing a billion pounds every two days. This just underlines further that dire situation and the need for HMG to stop wasting money. The sooner that they start making savings, the less we will have to pay later, but they just seem to thick to understand this simple truth.
                    too thick

Comment

Working...
                    X