• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Failed at interview for the first time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed at interview for the first time

Oh well, I've been for interview and failed it for the first time in 10 years or so; the chappy spent 55 of the 60 minutes talking at me and then turned me down as I interrupted him a couple of times; I think if I hadn't I wouldn't have been able to tell him anything about myself. As well as that, he hadn't even read my CV before the interview.

Shall learn and just keep my mouth shut for 60 minutes next time I meet a character like that.

Still, it saves me a problem as I can still do 3 weeks work spread out between now and end of august on current project.

I guess it had to happen sometime.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Mich,

unlucky,

you know, in life, if people wanna talk, let them talk

it's a form of flattery, they are flattering you that they want to talk to show you they are as intelligent/whatever/replace_subject_as_necessary as you

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Oh well, I've been for interview and failed it for the first time in 10 years or so; the chappy spent 55 of the 60 minutes talking at me and then turned me down as I interrupted him a couple of times; I think if I hadn't I wouldn't have been able to tell him anything about myself. As well as that, he hadn't even read my CV before the interview.

Shall learn and just keep my mouth shut for 60 minutes next time I meet a character like that.

Still, it saves me a problem as I can still do 3 weeks work spread out between now and end of august on current project.

Are you sure it wasn't your suit?

Never mind, you wouldn't want to work with an inconsiderate knob like that anyway.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        Are you sure it wasn't your suit?

Never mind, you wouldn't want to work with an inconsiderate knob like that anyway.
        You do have a point there, or two in fact. Agent told me it was a suits and ties place and the guy was wearing jeans. Plus; I'm serious, I wouldn't have got a word in if I hadn't politely interrupted; seeing as he hadn't even taken the trouble to read my CV AND turned up late you're probably right about the 'inconsiderate knob' bit.

Comment

No matter how good you are, no matter how perfect your interview performance, there are some interviews that just won't work out.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

You do have a point there, or two in fact. Agent told me it was a suits and ties place and the guy was wearing jeans. Plus; I'm serious, I wouldn't have got a word in if I hadn't politely interrupted; seeing as he hadn't even taken the trouble to read my CV AND turned up late you're probably right about the 'inconsiderate knob' bit.
            Oh dear that has happened to me. Turned up in a very expensive suit and everyone else was wearing (probably much more expensive) casual gear.
            I looked like one of the receptionists.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

You know this for fact? Is this what the pimp said? Lame reason if so.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                No matter how good you are, no matter how perfect your interview performance, there are some interviews that just won't work out.
                WHS. Especially if the interviewer is a twat, as this one appears to have been done.

My interview technique is designed to put people on the back foot from the off; I'll sit opposite of them, pick up my copy of their CV, tell them I haven't read it and don't intend to, but tell them that I want them to tell me what's in it.

Comment

I once interviewed someone who did not let me get a word in edgeways for an hour : and that was just what he was doing last 4 years. I let him carry on as was interested to see when he would stop.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    You know this for fact? Is this what the pimp said? Lame reason if so.
                    It might have as much to do with the pimp; two pimps claimed to have offered my CV in the past and I was kept 'on file'; one of the pimps was making phone calls to the program manager (whom I didn't meet) complaining he'd been passed by.

Add to that; the 'Test Manager' was actually a 'Change Manager' who'd been moved into testing in a reorganisation; he might have been a bit concerned about hiring someone who clearly knew 100 times as much about testing as he did.

Still, I have 2 weeks off then can do some more work at home for current client; in between I can work on Plan B AND enjoy the cricket.

It's wierd though; feeling disappointed about being turned down for a role that I'm not really sure I wanted.

Thing is, I've been in the position of interviewing people myself; I've always read the CV first, turned up on time prepared with some questions about somebody's skills and then given them a chance to tell me what they can do for a team; I tend to think if you don't prepare to interview somebody properly you don't deserve to get the right people.
                    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 21 July 2009, 13:38.

Comment

Working...
                    X