• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New earth size hole in Jupiter discovered

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New earth size hole in Jupiter discovered

Discovered by an amateur no less, makes you wonder what all of the space angencies and publicly funded telescope installations around the world do all day!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...asteroid-crash

PZZ

"My God, it's full of stars".
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

That's not a hole. I invested it.

Comment

First evidence of swine flu spreading interplanetary?
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by gordonbrown View Post
          That's not a hole. I invested it.
          lol

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
            Discovered by an amateur no less, makes you wonder what all of the space agencies and publicly funded telescope installations around the world do all day!
            Typically, look at very small parts of the sky at very high resolution. Strangely, they're not actually paid to sit looking out of the window all night!

Amateurs look at larger areas.

Astronomy is one of the sciences where many of the discoveries can be, and are, still done by amateurs.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              Typically, look at very small parts of the sky at very high resolution. Strangely, they're not actually paid to sit looking out of the window all night!

Amateurs look at larger areas.

Astronomy is one of the sciences where many of the discoveries can be, and are, still done by amateurs.
              I would of thought that if something the size of the earth crashes into our solar system, it would raise alarm bells somewhere!

I thought that the US had some kind of early monitoring service that that would detect things of this nature that has potential to threaten the solar system.

Suddenly, the universe feels a dangerous place where anything could happen!

PZZ
              Last edited by pzz76077; 22 July 2009, 06:58.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

absolutely. Last week I gently fried some cheese slices, when they were bubbling I tipped in half bag of mushrooms - bliss.

sorry, thought you said gastronomy

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I would of thought that if something the size of the earth crashes into our solar system, it would raise alarm bells somewhere!
                  It wasn't. It merely heated up an Earth-sized bit of Jupiter's atmosphere.

There are no alarm bells installed on Jupiter. Yet. However, I suspect Her Majesty's Gov have security cameras, but pointing at the local populace, not the sky.

I thought that the US had some kind of early monitoring service that that would detect things of this nature that has potential to threaten the solar system.
                  Nope. There are a number of pipe dreams, that's all. Nothing that actually works.

They're looking for very small pieces of black material against a black background that emit virtually no radiation but travel incredibly fast. Squillions of them. And the dangerous ones are probably outside Pluto's orbit most of the time.

Indeed it is. The greatest miracle of all is life. How this planet in this solar system managed to maintain a stable enough environment in its bit of space for evolution to occur is beyond my comprehension.

Gamma blasts, meteorites, inter-stellar material, supernovae and all manner of other reasons could have wiped life out utterly in the past few hundred million years. Or done enough damage to knock us back into single-cell life and so reset the clock.

We really do need to be colonising other worlds as a prelude to spreading out of this solar system.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

PZZ
                    It is, and we don't have tabs on very much of it. AIUI the US monitors large objects that may threaten Earth, not the entire solar system. There is no reason why something the size of the earth crashing into some other part of the solar system should raise alarm bells, even if we saw it coming, which we propbably wouldn't.

I would have thought.

Comment

Working...
                    X