• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Protectionism - why not?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protectionism - why not?

I'm sure I'm going to get flamed on here, by "I'm alright Jack" types who are happy buying asparagus in December and cheap dvds, regardless of the millions of unemployed.

I reckon we should bring back our factories and coal mines and put hefty import duties on imports. Yes, manufactured imports will therefore be more expensive. I reckon it's a price worth paying.

Discuss (and destroy)
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    I'm sure I'm going to get flamed on here, by "I'm alright Jack" types who are happy buying asparagus in December and cheap dvds, regardless of the millions of unemployed.

I reckon we should bring back our factories and coal mines and put hefty import duties on imports. Yes, manufactured imports will therefore be more expensive. I reckon it's a price worth paying.

Discuss (and destroy)
    I agree, letting manufacturing go without a fight is the worst mistake the UK ever made. It will foever be a declining power that is at the mercy of the rest of the world for its survival.

PZZ

Comment

Discuss (and destroy)
      Got no moral issues with it, but experience proves it will never work.
      The factories and coal miners will get complacent and lazy (typical British working-class traits) if they have captive markets.
      We will return to the days of the Austin Princess and Morris Ital (shudder!) and other shoddy goods.

I would wager you are quite young.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        The factories and coal miners will get complacent and lazy (typical British working-class traits) if they have captive markets.
        We will return to the days of the Austin Princess and Morris Ital (shudder!) and other shoddy goods.

I used to have an Austin Princess. The first day of sun and the vinyl roof melted. They couldnt replace it at the main dealers so had to go back to the factory to fit a new one!

PZZ

Comment

I don't agree at all. Free trade is the best way to go for the world economy, with minimal protectionism. Our problem is that our taxes are far too high because we have a government that has lost control of the welfare state and has built a massive parasitic public sector that is sucking the blood from the private sector.

Reduce taxes and ridiculous expenditure and then we will be able to compete much better. The Tories now are our only hope.

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
            I used to have an Austin Princess. The first day of sun and the vinyl roof melted. They couldnt replace it at the main dealers so had to go back to the factory to fit a new one!

PZZ
            Well there you have it.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

As small amount of protectionism is not only a good thing but also a sensible one

Problem is it generally gets taken to far, especially in industries that get unionised or that start to carry political clout (France is good example)

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

I'm actually old enough to remember when young folk left school at 15 and (almost always) got work in local factories (some continued studies part-time and/or took apprenticeships). Going straight onto the dole wasn't seen as much as an option -you had to pay your way.
                In fact I reckon we could cut a large proportion of benefit payments if there were enough traditional jobs around.
                Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
                  As small amount of protectionism is not only a good thing but also a sensible one
                  True. No one is as protectionist as that bastion of free trade, the US.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

I'm actually old enough to remember when young folk left school at 15 and (almost always) got work in local factories (some continued studies part-time and/or took apprenticeships). Going straight onto the dole wasn't seen as much as an option -you had to pay your way.
                    In fact I reckon we could cut a large proportion of benefit payments if there were enough traditional jobs around.
                    Doing what?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X