• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Time Contracting abroad (Dublin)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Contracting abroad (Dublin)

Hi,

I suppose you get many of these posts, so here's another one. (lots of dumb questions)

My position is I live in Luxembourg, and I'm looking for contract work (first time). I think I may have a contract in Dublin, and so the questions are starting to arise in my head.

I want to remain a resident of Lux (as my family are settled here -10 years now).

Should I go for an umbrella company/ Ltd company / Freelance...and in Lux or Dub? (Ltd companies in Lux cost 12K to set up )
    Social Security - should this be paid to Lux or Ireland if I work in Dublin? I would like to keep my Lux state pension alive. (maybe via top up contributions?).

Any other advice?
    Thanks!

Originally posted by ultrafox View Post
    Hi,

I suppose you get many of these posts, so here's another one. (lots of dumb questions)

My position is I live in Luxembourg, and I'm looking for contract work (first time). I think I may have a contract in Dublin, and so the questions are starting to arise in my head.

I want to remain a resident of Lux (as my family are settled here -10 years now).

Should I go for an umbrella company/ Ltd company / Freelance...and in Lux or Dub? (Ltd companies in Lux cost 12K to set up )
    Social Security - should this be paid to Lux or Ireland if I work in Dublin? I would like to keep my Lux state pension alive. (maybe via top up contributions?).

Any other advice?
    Thanks!
    I have contracted in Dublin, it depends on the agent and the client. Some clients insist on Irish company or Irish umbrella.

Lucky for me the agent or client didn't care so I used my existing company.
    You need to check, you may not have a choice.

Also you didn't say how long the contract is for, less than 6 months you don't have to think about Social Security etc.
    Last edited by alreadypacked; 22 July 2009, 12:16.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Many thanks for your reply AP.

The contract is for 6 months and I now understand that they will only use an Irish registered company.

Another question (before I sign a contract I have never seen before) is what's the story about early termination of contracts? (in case that great job I've been waiting for turns up in Lux).

I know one can call a bluff and walk out and see whether they will bother sueing. But can notice periods be added to the contract (and is this normal)? I'm sure the umbrella company will want to avoid this.

Any advice on this?

Cheers

Comment

yes notice periods can be put into contracts, although how useful they are as from my experience they usually go something like

Pimp: Chef, they're cutting the budget for xyz project and we havent been paid so we're pulling all contractors out of global corp..
        Chef: so i'll take it your giving me my xx days notice?
        Pimp: yes, although we dont have any work right now for you but dont worry im sure something will turn up
        Chef: fine i'll bill you for the notice period
        Pimp: if you read in your contract it says you only get paid for days worked, unfortunately we have no work for you right now
        chef: im still going to bill you
        pimp: try it, but we wont pay unless days have been worked and a client has signed the timesheet
        chef: i'll see you in court
        pimp: <laughing> ok sonny boy, you do that if you think court costs and legal fees are going to be worth spending the money on
        chef:
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
        X