• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Acountant raising fees by 18%

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acountant raising fees by 18%

My accountant wrote to me today telling me their fees have risen by 18% and I have to fill out a new direct debit form. What should I do?

Please see poll!
    Take it, they're worth it. They are accountant Gods.
    0.00%
    Haggle. Tell them there is a recession on.
    17.39%
    Walk -- how dare they!
    43.48%
    Ask for a reduction: "there's a recession on, didn't you know?"
    39.13%
    Last edited by swamp; 22 July 2009, 21:34.
    Cats are evil.

Tell them there is a recession on, everyone else is dropping their fees and if they need to cut costs they should bring some foreigners over using ICT then go find another accountant.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Get AndyW to do your books.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Where is the spoon licking option?

Comment

How much do you pay at the moment?

If it's £50 and you're happy with them then pay it.

If it's £100 then find another accountant...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

So basically the accountancy's idea to survive the recession is to leverage an 18% across the board fee increase on their clients.

I am trying to understand how this model will help their long term survivability when a high proportion of their clients will either a) financially suffer from the 18% increase, and go bankrupt or b) take their business elsewhere before option a happens.

I personally would suggest another accountancy, one that isn't called Fcktard and Son.
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

On the other hand perhaps the accountants client base is falling during the recession but he doesn't want to have to lay off staff?
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Bagpuss wrote : On the other hand perhaps the accountants client base is falling during the recession but he doesn't want to have to lay off staff?
                In which case, if the client base is falling, uplifting their fees by 18% is only going to accelerate the quantity of desertions, and ultimately they will have to lay off staff sooner.
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                  My accountant wrote to me today telling me their fees have risen by 18% and I have to fill out a new direct debit form. What should I do?

Please see poll!
                  The obvious question is why are their fees going up - have their costs to provide you with a service risen by 18%?

Seems a fair question to ask of them.

Comment

<blatent spam>Give Darren at Uptons a ring. He will sort you out.</blatent spam>
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X