• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Possible gig if I want it……

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible gig if I want it……

Currently permie on a cracking programme of work with superb experience – started off contracting, changed permie as no other gigs around at point of turning to the dark side, and I am enjoying the work (other than the usual permie sheite that goes with the turf). I am looking at all of t he IT quality for a huge company, not stuck in a project – I like the roving aspect to the work.

Permie moolah knocking towards £50K, so fairly good for permiedoom. However, costs are fuel and new car every 3 years due to high miles.

Job is 55 miles from home, but 7-3 is working well so only an hour each way.

Got a fair chance of a test manager contract 10 mins from home. Will pay a lot more, usual gamble as to whether it will rock on, or jumping for 3 months that may end up at nothing else.

Had a war chest, but mostly gone into a new house – savings are around £10K at present.

Given current turbulent situation, not sure what to do in these mad times – keep where I am until things settle in however many years, or, go for the local decent money, but with this accept that I would be losing what would be the best job for me if only I was still able to be on high contractor rates at current place……

Boils down to money, security and job satisfaction…….

It sounds like you really do enjoy your present job, and the only annoying thing is the distance, can you negotiate working from home now and again, perhaps once a week?

If you really are enjoying your job, then I think its wiser to stay where you are at the moment, if you really hated it, my opinion would be totally different. I personally can tolerate a job because I either love it, or because of the dosh, sometimes the two happen to come together, but not often

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
      Currently permie on a cracking programme of work with superb experience – started off contracting, changed permie as no other gigs around at point of turning to the dark side, and I am enjoying the work (other than the usual permie sheite that goes with the turf). I am looking at all of t he IT quality for a huge company, not stuck in a project – I like the roving aspect to the work.

Permie moolah knocking towards £50K, so fairly good for permiedoom. However, costs are fuel and new car every 3 years due to high miles.

Job is 55 miles from home, but 7-3 is working well so only an hour each way.

Got a fair chance of a test manager contract 10 mins from home. Will pay a lot more, usual gamble as to whether it will rock on, or jumping for 3 months that may end up at nothing else.

Had a war chest, but mostly gone into a new house – savings are around £10K at present.

Given current turbulent situation, not sure what to do in these mad times – keep where I am until things settle in however many years, or, go for the local decent money, but with this accept that I would be losing what would be the best job for me if only I was still able to be on high contractor rates at current place……

Boils down to money, security and job satisfaction…….
      Um, is it just me that wonders this ?, but if it is a permanent job, you like the work and the only issue is the distance that you have to travel daily, why don't you move nearer?

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
        Um, is it just me that wonders this ?, but if it is a permanent job, you like the work and the only issue is the distance that you have to travel daily, why don't you move nearer?
        There is no way on this planet I would ever consider moving to Bradistan!!

Family / friends etc are over in Cheshire way, so commuting is the only way to handle things..... especially as back around 4 most days

Comment

Stay put. Not enough reasons to jump ship, and if you even need to seek advice then it is the wrong gig to jump to.

HTH
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

friends
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

There is no way on this planet I would ever consider moving to Bradistan!!
              I am unfamiliar with the north of the country but surely there must be some nice places that are not too far away?
              Family / friends etc are over in Cheshire way, so commuting is the only way to handle things..... especially as back around 4 most days
              Each to their own I suppose. That would give me even more reason to move away.

Comment

In that case, if anyone is after a Test Manager gig in Cheshire let me know and I will pass on the pimp details......

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  Stay put. Not enough reasons to jump ship, and if you even need to seek advice then it is the wrong gig to jump to.

HTH
                  WHS
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Wilmsloooooow!!!!

You really take the bisuit. You had the opportunity of moving away from the mafia neighbours when you bought a house at the worst possible time in living memory.

But you moved just down the road.

You accepted a permie job without thinking that you would be commuting hundreds of miles a week. Forever, potentially (this is not a contract remember).

Your amoeba-like brain refuses to accept that there are other options than living where you are or living in the town that you commute to (for example lots of lovely Pennine villages above the old mill towns nearby).

If you had to move when you did, you should have moved to a nice place that is somewhere nearer.

Or stay put and STFU.

Comment

Working...
                    X