• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

is it cos i is

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it cos i is

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6724625.ece

imo police did the correct thing the ID could have easily been forged, black white or purple the guy should have been held (as happened until ID was corroborated)

but hey surprise surprise they turned it into a race thing

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post

imo police did the correct thing the ID could have easily been forged, black white or purple the guy should have been held (as happened until ID was corroborated)

Police officer was a dick. It should not have been too hard to knock on a neighbours door and ask if they knew this guy, or get someone from the college to confirm his ID.
    He was right to treat the gux suspiciously. I suspect there was some racist motivation but probably not the prime driving force.
    Playing the race card seems to be the easiest of defences these days.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

In all honesty, any Police Officer that could not have established this old codger's credentials without the need to drag him down to the station ought not to be doing the job, far less be armed.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Looks to me like the cops arrested and handcuffed him not because there was any lingering doubt that he was in his own house, but because he was mouthy to a white cop.

The police insist that Mr Gates was responsible for his own arrest because he shouted at the policeman. Is that a criminal offence? Oh yes, "tumultuous behaviour", though they later dropped the charge. Arrest in your own home for "shouting" at a cop, handcuffing behind the back for an old man who needs a cane to walk, then off to the cop shop for 4 hours and a criminal charge, then off you go and no we ain't apologisin'.

To me it sounds at least worth discussing, not scoffing at and rejecting.

Comment

Ah, the BNP troll is in residence.

Comment

Mr Gates was responsible for his own arrest because he overreacted and shouted at the policeman.
            Thereby making the big burly armed policemen feel threatened and burst into tears. Are all American policemen such girly wusses?
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Thereby making the big burly armed policemen feel threatened and burst into tears. Are all American policemen such girly wusses?
              No but they would be allowed to knee the tulip in the back, push them to the ground and shout at them a few times, even if they had not commited an offence....

Comment

Whole thing can basically be summarised as:

Cops get called to possible house break in, find someone claiming to be owner, he shows them ID and then gets all Uppity ("What's your Name and Badge") because he is black and that would be ONLY reason cops would turn up to someone forcing a door to a house, cops get their knickers in a twist (as cops everywhere do when you ask that), he starts to shout racism, cops decide "screw this lets lock up the little tulip for a few hours to teach him".

National outcry ensues with every black rights campaigners breaking open the champagne as they have not had much air time since Obama was elected

Cops acted like typical Nazi gits with small dicks, but so did the professor, would not have surprised me if he had went with the "I pay your salary with my taxes so you best show me respect"

Next time he will be complaining that cops did not turn up to a reported break-in in progress at his house because he is black

Comment

errr BNP, dont think so

i am pointing out that this should not have been made into a race issue

racism doesnt only mean white people are racist to black/purple/red etc it could be any combination of the aforementioned and imo none are acceptable

Comment

A lot of research and experiments have been carried out in the US which repeatedly demonstrate that there is clear discrimination against African-Americans... even by people who believe themselves to have no personal bias whatsoever. In fact, even by black people themselves. So, just dismissing this as paranoia, sh1tstirring or over-reaction is wrong. As Obama said, "it is fact".

Exactly what anyone is supposed to actually do about it is another question entirely. Such discrimination (which also happens against women, short people and other categories, many of them not even minorities), is hard-wired into our subconscious.

I've ripped all that off from Malcolm Gladwell, but still, there it is.

Comment

Working...
                    X