• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Road Signs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road Signs

I have noticed that some road signs, especially on/near motorways have various black & yellow shapes, squares, triangles, diamond and circles?

Does anyone know they are all about?
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Search me. I've long since forgotten them, after taking my test 20 years ago.

But I've noticed that driving up a street with red circles at the end, one finds that most of the traffic seems to be going the other way.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Are you talking about the "Emergency Diversion Routes"?

http://www.highways.gov.uk/business/22964.aspx

I think that they are still a "work in progress".

It does sound like a worthwhile project though.

Comment

It's a potential diversion route to follow.

Somewhere there will be a sign for the symbols (if a diversion is ever needed), e.g. Triangle = Airport, Square = Train Station.

Then you just follow the Triangles or Squares...

They are also sometimes used for routes to touristy stuff, e.g. castles
        Last edited by blacjac; 24 July 2009, 02:39.
        Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
          I have noticed that some road signs, especially on/near motorways have various black & yellow shapes, squares, triangles, diamond and circles?

Does anyone know they are all about?
          Maybe you should take the bus while you check there is nothing else you have missed.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
            Maybe you should take the bus while you check there is nothing else you have missed.
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Noticed a sign with S T O P on it, not sure what that stands for.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Noticed a sign with S T O P on it, not sure what that stands for.
                Spoon Tasters On Patrol

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                  It's a potential diversion route to follow.

Somewhere there will be a sign for the symbols (if a diversion is ever needed), e.g. Triangle = Airport, Square = Train Station.

Then you just follow the Triangles or Squares...

They are also sometimes used for routes to touristy stuff, e.g. castles
                  Last Friday I was going down the M20 and they will removing the triangle for Gatwick. Maybe Gatwick airport has moved. Or anyone who doesn't know the way before they set off does not deserve to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
                    Spoon Tasters On Patrol

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X