• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

South Oxfordshire

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Oxfordshire

...Harwell, to be precise.

Anyone:

(a) worked here
    (b) live(d) here

I'm looking at premises for Menelaus and HISC is an obvious candidate.

There are loads of picturesque villages in Oxfordshire. You'll need to look around to see what's available. Whatever you do, don't be tempted by buying in the city of Oxford. It's horribly congested (and so polluted), shabby and overrun by tourists and language students. Add in a lot of petty crime by disadvantaged locals (it's hard to come across anyone who hasn't had a car or bicycle stolen here) and it's not really the image you get from Morse, although there are some lively pubs. Only thing you have to be careful about with regards to the village option is that one or two are susceptible to flooding, so do your research.
    Alternatively you could look across the border in Berkshire. Apparently property prices never go down there, so its a good investment!
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
      There are loads of picturesque villages in Oxfordshire. You'll need to look around to see what's available. Whatever you do, don't be tempted by buying in the city of Oxford. It's horribly congested (and so polluted), shabby and overrun by tourists and language students. Add in a lot of petty crime by disadvantaged locals (it's hard to come across anyone who hasn't had a car or bicycle stolen here) and it's not really the image you get from Morse, although there are some lively pubs. Only thing you have to be careful about with regards to the village option is that one or two are susceptible to flooding, so do your research.
      Alternatively you could look across the border in Berkshire. Apparently property prices never go down there, so its a good investment!
      I wouldn't dare buy in Oxford - lovely as it is there's bugger-all chance of me being able to afford to buy somewhere there large enough.

Some nice places in S Oxfordshire though, around Harwell, Goring etc - and Menelaus office is almost certainly going to be at RAL Harwell.

Comment

I worked for a client in Chinnor (just on the border with Bucks) who had serviced offices from these people:

http://www.sanderum.com/

Really nice location - 30 mins from High Wycombe, about 45 from Oxford. They also have offices in Thame I believe.

Comment

I lived in Oxford city for 5 years, and never had any problems with crime or hassle when walking back from the pub or whatever. Just avoid Cowley where Mr Mark lives.

I can do all your C++ software too. Much cheapness, pleanty quickness.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I lived in Oxford city for 5 years, and never had any problems with crime or hassle when walking back from the pub or whatever. Just avoid Cowley where Mr Mark lives.

I can do all your C++ software too. Much cheapness, pleanty quickness.
            How's your SAS / Synapse?

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
              How's your SAS / Synapse?
              Yes all types C++. No problem.

Not really. What's SAS?
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Yes all types C++. No problem.

Not really. What's SAS?
                Pah! http://www.menelaus-consulting.com/Tools.html

Comment

Not really. What's SAS?
                  A twonk.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    A twonk.

HTH
                    Much as you two are always having digs at one another, I'm sure you'd miss each other if one of you stopped posting.
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X