• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New report claims cost of ID cards will be £500 each

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New report claims cost of ID cards will be £500 each

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...859673,00.html

"THE cost of introducing a national identity card scheme could rise to almost £30 billion — almost £500 a card, the government will be warned this month.

A report by the London School of Economics (LSE), details of which have emerged this weekend, says the cost of integrating the scheme’s computers with government databases will add as much as £10 billion to the college’s previous £18 billion estimate.
    ",

nice.

Milan.

Nah they're still being way way too conservative with the cost. Only £10 billion for integration? I feel a Santa Claus moment coming on: Ho ho ho. It'll cost at least £10 billion just to work out what database they have, never mind link to the fsckers. I thought this Charles Clark gained a degree in Math? Yet can't add up. How sad.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Why not use the existing Passport or National Insurance Card infrastructures.... that already have the ability to track and issue machine readable identities....

Oh sorry, I was thinking like a programmer, not a politician.
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

No mcquiggd, you're just thinking like someone who hasn't worked in the public sector.

I used to be like that as well, "install Win2K on a box how difficult can it be?"

Answers to the above:
        - wrong answer: "a few hours work"
        - correct answer: "10 days and it will cost 10,000 quid...excluding the license"

The correct answer, believe it or not, was given to me on one of my previous contracts.

Comment

I feel a gravy train coming on.

Comment

Working...
          X