• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stuttgart?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuttgart?

Hi,

Is anyone able to give me a quick 2min guide to contracting in Stuttgart please, as I have the possiblity of a contract there? I've been contracting for many years, but have never been overseas before.
    • What's the cheapest way to fly there from the North West?
    • What sort of accommodation costs would I be looking at (I normally B&B)?
    • What sort of rate should I expect, given travel costs etc, to make it feasible (it's an embedded software contract)

Cheers

I was working there late last year

flights depend on where in the north west your from, i flew from manchetser to stuttgart regularly and found TuiFly were the cheapest and best suited for my flight times

accommodation is hard to get in stuttgart and expensive (IMO), as i was working in the south i had to choose between an apartment rental and a 30/45 min commute each way or staying in a long term apartment in a hotel and just a few mins walk to work. B&b's are available but get booked up in advance, search trip advisor.

for rates i'd work out accom costs first, then work out how many times you want to fly home a month (look at costs 1 month from now to get a good idea), then add your daily rate in your line of work and see how that fits. I had to take a cut in daily rate slightly to get the work but it paid off as I walked straight into my current work..
    Last edited by chef; 24 July 2009, 14:24.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Much obliged, Chef.

I live just north of Manchester, so TUIfly looks like my best option.

The contract is actually about 20 mins south of the airport, so I'd probably be looking for local accommodation rather than staying in the city.

What did you do about getting paid? Presumably you used a German umbrella, so can you recommend one? Also, would I need a Euros bank account or do the umbrella sort that out, and if so what sort of exchange rate hit do you take?

Thanks again

Comment

1/ erwähnen Sie nicht den Krieg
        2/ Sie müssen die Musik von David Hasslehoff mögen
        3/ Wenn es won' t passte sie verkaufen KY gelieren

HTH
        Lick my Chutney Lollipop

Comment

Working...
        X