• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help and advice for a newbie on the bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help and advice for a newbie on the bench

Hi,

I have been fortunate and contracted for one company for 6 years and unfortunately the contract has just ended. so I still consider myself a newbie at contracting. The problem is that I am struggling to cope with being on the bench whilst looking for another job. What do you guys do other then spend your time trawling job adverts. Staying at home is driving me mad and not working is driving me mad.

Also any good advice about how to go about looking for your second contract?

Robbie

Send two references to an agency? That's what I do. Still hasn't got me a contract though
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Rob

6 years. This means you're really a permie.

Just apply for either contracts or perm.

MF
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie View Post
        What do you guys do other then spend your time trawling job adverts. Staying at home is driving me mad and not working is driving me mad.
        I am normally very good at being on the bench. However, when I was feeling down the other day, I started this thread. In it there are suggestions from others about how to cope.

I will not tell you how to get a contract; there's plenty of places for that. In fact, there is more information out there on how to get contracts than you will have time to read. It is very easy to find, too. But 'coping on the bench' I can help with.

- You MUST get out of the house every day. This is a recognised method of tackling mild depression.
        - You MUST try to have social contact a few times a week. Talking to staff in shops, strangers at bus stops or chatting with an agent all count.
        - Avoid alcohol, or at least keep it moderate. Try to not drink any alcohol every other day.
        - Do NOT watch TV during the day. That is a killer.
        - Keep statistics. Having a record of applications with the date will give you a way of keeping score.
        - When someone says "Oh, isn't it depressing?" disagree with them. This is important. Instead say, "Oh, it's OK when you're a contractor. It's all part of the job. Please don't feel sorry for me, there is no need."
        - There is a thread on here called "Test Please Delete". It is very friendly and is a useful place to gossip about meaningless trivia. Keep an eye on it and you will see. It may be useful for you.

There have been other threads on here about the same subject. When searching for them, just make sure you include "bench" in the search!
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Hi,

I have been fortunate and contracted for one company for 6 years and unfortunately the contract has just ended. so I still consider myself a newbie at contracting. The problem is that I am struggling to cope with being on the bench whilst looking for another job. What do you guys do other then spend your time trawling job adverts. Staying at home is driving me mad and not working is driving me mad.

Also any good advice about how to go about looking for your second contract?

Robbie
          Have you thought about updating your skills? Maybe doing some work for an opensource project?

Comment

thanks for the quick response.

I too have a terrible black dog I find it hard to shake off, to be honest I hate being at home. I read your thread and thought great, I am not the only one that feels like this.

Updating skills, this is a real problem for me as I work as a delivery manger normaly reporting to a project manager. My expertise is in Infrastructure delivery but will do software delivery, release management change management etc. I have done full blown project manger work but I found it caused me to many sleepless nights. Not because of the project management itself but because of the people I worked for made the job impossible, one of the reason i now find myself out of work. This has seriously made me think do I still want to do project management and actually go spend the £2K on a Prince 2 course. So this add to the problems above, what on earth do I want to do! Should I have a mid life crisis and buy a motorbike?

As for working for six years for one company , yes it was like being a permie (well paid one) but I was good at what I did. I was on a three month rolling contract and when a department had no more use for me then I simply went around hawking my services to another department to get a renewal. I worked for one of the major utilities.

Good news, I phoned my mate up who lives in France so the Mrs and I are leaving for a break on Sunday.

Thanks for the feedback and positive response.

Rob

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and positive response.
              Rob
              FFS what is going on with this board, declining quality of posts etc. & now it's be nice to newbies week

Forums going to the dogs
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                FFS what is going on with this board, declining quality of posts etc. & now it's be nice to newbies week

Forums going to the dogs
                This would never have happened under the Tories.
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                X