• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Here we go again: Government to tax the view from your house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here we go again: Government to tax the view from your house

Front page atricle at http://www.telegraph.co.uk

"Having a nice view or living next door to a golf course are going to cost householders more in council tax under Labour plans.

Taxpayers are set to be charged hundreds of pounds extra a year if they are in a conservation area, next to an open space, have a swimming pool or tennis court or enjoy full or partial views of the sea, hills, mountains, lakes or rivers.

Extra charges are also expected to be levied on homes with more bedrooms than average, conservatories, large patios or gardens, roof terraces or balconies. Homes in "gated communities" will also face higher bills."

etc...

Of course, it needs a fancy new computer system...

"Detailed documentation from John Prescott's Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, shows that the exercise will cost at least £105 million. Of this, £45 million is going on a new "computer-assisted mass appraisal system" which will help officials to obtain specific details on every property in England."

Sending out surveyors to check the details will obviously cost, but £45 million is on a new "computer-assisted mass appraisal system" ?

Sigh...
    Last edited by Sysman; 6 November 2005, 13:30.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

sounds like a modern day version of the doomsday book

next it'll be linked to Hector's system and with a few pattern based data mining technicques they'll be wondering whether a man of x means can afford a house with a pool, conservatory and more than average amount of bedrooms

nice

Milan.

Comment

GB has been reaing the history books again

Hearth tax 1662
      Window Tax 1692

Comment

this has all the hall marks of new labour policy brilliance...

. it's going to create a huge amount of jobs, all those inspectors, administrators, managers

. it's going to cost a fecking fortune

imagine, only an inspection, how long will it take, 4 hours, at a cost of for sake of argument 50gbp per hour, then that's 200gbp per inspection

how many properties are there to inspect ? 15, or 20 million ? that's almost 5 billion only to do the inspections based upon the labour costs

Milan.

Comment

EDS must have formed a new property surveying division....

I really hope Scotland does go for independence now.
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
            next it'll be linked to Hector's system and with a few pattern based data mining technicques they'll be wondering whether a man of x means can afford a house with a pool, conservatory and more than average amount of bedrooms
            Milan.
            A customer for SKA then? :-)

Nah... they'll appoint one of the usual suspects, overrun on costs and produce something that doesn't quite do what it's supposed to.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I live in Swindon and the view from my house is a large block of flats on one side and the new hospital on the other.

I for one welcome this sensible and measured taxation measure.

Comment

doesn't quite do what it's supposed to
                I've not noticed one of the usual suspects ever in building a system fail in their principle objective of making loads of money.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

DP,

"I live in Swindon and the view from my house is a large block of flats on one side and the new hospital on the other.
                  ",

is that the hospital you can see from the M4 ?

What a disgusting place to live.

Milan.

Comment

Does he get a discount then?

No?

Ahh well.

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X