• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rates

So next year, will you be earning more, less or about the same as this year?

Are you thinking of rate rises, trying to dodge rate cuts or just hoping to keep your head down and toodle along?

By the way, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4405550.stm

The total pay of top company bosses increased by 18% last year, a survey of 1,000 directors has found. Income Data Services' (IDS) annual board room survey found almost half now earned over £1m, with eight receiving packages worth in excess of £5m.

IDS, which has assessed executive pay for the last 15 years, said it had never seen so many earn so much money.
    Something to think about when considering rates next year.

It would be impossible to find a lower rate than I've been on this year - unless the bottom falls out the burger market
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

It is all about supply and demand.

As long as people are prepared to undercut then the rate will remain low.

The distortions in how people run their business e.g. IR35 full wammy or EBT / Offshore allow some people to undercut significantly further.

Unfair? Probably, but that is the way the world works.

Larger risk takers are rewarded, legal tax paying citizens - not.

If my next contract pays less than 2 x permy under IR35, then contracting is no longer viable.

In the old days contracting used to average 3+ x permy.

My permy rate is about 100k

For those at the bottom end of the market, it may be more viable.

At the top-end there are all those senior retired programme manager interims who are bored out their minds, and just want some pin money and will accept crap rates.
      Last edited by ancient; 6 November 2005, 22:20.

Comment

Rates have always been cyclical.

The 'anecdotal evidence' I see is that it is getting harder and harder to maintain the highest rates you've acheived. If you've got a nice corner of the market though you're ok, just hang in there and milk it.

There are now Russians, Hungarians and Poles who are going to put further downward pressure on things though.

http://www.xc1.com/forum/viewforum.p...7d360bbc5f2c15

Comment

Next year

Will probably retreat from the City next year, so my rates will inevitably drop.

Comment

Will probably retreat from the City next year
            Come on ...reasons reasons.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

you wanna get into .Net

rates in .Net are sorted

innit

Milan.

Comment

Ancient is Sir John Harvey-Jones and I claim my £5!

Unfortunately I never experienced the boom years of contracting as I graduated when the Y2K and dot.com bubbles burst, so for me the likes of IR35 are the only contracting reality I have ever known, which does put a slightly different perspective on it.

Perhaps in order to safeguard the future we need to wine and dine our existing clients like a Latino lover just to secure future contracts.
                Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
                  Come on ...reasons reasons.

So I can go live in quiet suburb and ghave a house twice as big for half the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Bovvered
                    So I can go live in quiet suburb and ghave a house twice as big for half the cost.
                    thus working half as less, with half the stress.....
                    SA says;
                    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    (whatever these are)

Comment

Working...
                    X