• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Labour desparate to re-inflate housing bubble before election time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8170214.stm

Good to see my taxes going on pushing up housing developer profits.

I know they are "loans" but at what interest rate to the developers?
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 27 July 2009, 12:14.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

£925m? FFS.

"But he insisted the funds were not a "handout" for developers who would have to repay loans within five years."
    Expect a lot of liquidations in building companies in four years, eleven months then.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

How does this re-inflate the housing bubble? Surely if you persuade developers to build more houses than the market wants, you will depress the market, not inflate it?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        How does this re-inflate the housing bubble? Surely if you persuade developers to build more houses than the market wants, you will depress the market, not inflate it?
        Good point.

Comment

It will not re-inflate the housing bubble, it will stop some builders from going bust. They want to help builders to complete existing projects, so they can sell them to investers like AVIA. Keep builders in work. I don't think it will have much effect on house prices. Just stop some things from getting worse, accept the national debit of course.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

It's a shame that they brought in HIPS then wasn't it !! You won't get that under the Tories as they are abolishing this stealth tax.

Comment

Its a good point : but Labour are using state money to keep industry going. It can only end in tears.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                It will not re-inflate the housing bubble, it will stop some builders from going bust. They want to help builders to complete existing projects, so they can sell them to investers like AVIA. Keep builders in work. I don't think it will have much effect on house prices. Just stop some things from getting worse, accept the national debit of course.
                except

(sorry - vocabulary police here)

Comment

Is this not all to do with the report regarding the housing shortage crisis for the UK...

http://www.jrf.org.uk/media-centre/s...housing-crisis

Comment

Working...
                  X