• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Time Contractors - Whose Arse Do You Need to Kiss On First Day?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Contractors - Whose Arse Do You Need to Kiss On First Day?

So I ve aways been a permie - My question is pretty simple

If you want to do well and succeed and have your contract renewed, what mindset does a contractor need to take?

Does he need to cut corners and deliver buggy software so you will appear busy?

Does he need to say yes to all work and just do it?

What happens if you get asked to estimate how long something will take and you cannot? Do you guess?

What qualities of a contractor really make them succeed?

Mmmmm, lick the chutney spoon...
    Me, me, me...

Comment

There are only 3 people you need to get on with on site if you want to do well and get renewed.

The security guard, the cleaner and the bosses secretary.
      Nobody else matters.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

1) Turn up at 9am, leave at 5pm, on the dot. If you're not being paid, you're not there. Tell the PM this, repeatedly.
        2) If the work isn't explicitly listed in the job description, you don't do it. Tell the PM this, repeatedly.
        3) Never miss a chance to belittle your permie colleagues. Saying loudly 'I wouldn't get out of bed for your salary' is a guaranteed friend-winner.
        4) Spend at least half the day browsing Ferarri dealerships online.
        5) Never write any documents, never comment your code, and always run it through a code obfuscator before checking it in. Making sure that nobody else can maintain your code is key to being renewed.
        6) If you can, try to make sure that you work on at least two projects. That way whenever anyone asks you what you're doing, you can say that you're working on the other project. If you're really good, you can bill twice and still do no work.

Comment

Complain about the poor systems mangement and choice of ill selected software at your new site - and always ' Tut' loudly when asked to do something.

Comment

There is always an office gossip and he is usually bent as a nine bob note. So I recommend you get as friendly as possible, let him groom you, even get you pissed and bone you.
            It worth it for the extension, plus the walk is great for doing John Wayne impressions at parties

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Guys,

Can we keep this serious? I am all up for having a laugh and giggle but this is not the place for it

SERIOUS ANSWERS ONLY please!!

Comment

Ass kissing is for permies climbing the corp ladder

Basically just try not to piss off the permies and just deliver within the timescales you give client (if they give them to you make sure doable, if not inform client why not from early on and present them with alternative)

Oh, and occasional you will start a contract and get inherit a project that is FUBAR and always has been from day one. If you see on the paperwork a trail of people/PM's who no longer work for the client, Do not bitch, do not point out to client everything they are doing wrong and try to fix it, it will just mean you get shown the door faster, just quietly put your CV on the market again

Generally every client has at least one of these "kiss of death" projects

Comment

My ass - pucker up buttercup
                  Bazza gets caught
                  Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
                    Guys,

Can we keep this serious? I am all up for having a laugh and giggle but this is not the place for it

SERIOUS ANSWERS ONLY please!!
                    Joey

this is CUK.... serious doesn't happen in General..... specifically!
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                    X