• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christening Present

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christening Present

I've been asked to be the godfather to my niece. Do any of you lot have any good ideas for a christening present? (No horses heads etc) How much do people usually spend on a christening present?
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I've been asked to be the godfather to my niece. Do any of you lot have any good ideas for a christening present? (No horses heads etc) How much do people usually spend on a christening present?
    Having been on the receiving end of such gifts for our kids, I would say - Avoid the traditional tat that is napkin rings, tooth boxes, candles etc.

Go for a nice boxed set of kids books something they will read and appreciate when they are a little older not tear to pieces whent they are two, eg. beatrix potter stories, kids encyclopedia etc. Or, controversially, why not buy them a kids bible?

Alternatively money, eg. bung a few hundred quid into a pension and forget for 60 years.
    Last edited by moorfield; 27 July 2009, 16:13.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
      Havinf been on the receiving end of such gifts for our kids, I woyld say - Avoid the traditional tat that is napkin rings, tooth boxes, candles etc.

Go for a nice boxed set of kids books something they will read and appreciate when they are a little older not tear to pieces whent they are two, eg. beatrix potter stories. Or, controversially, why not buy them a kids bible.

Alternatively money, eg. bung a few hundred quid into a pension and forget for 60 years.
      few quid

Not going mad there!!
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
        Bloody hell Churchill and CM, that were quick!

Comment

I've just been through exactly the same thing myself with my nephew. Nightmare.

I thought that maybe a St Christopher medal would make a nice gift - then everyone said it was too religious & I couldn't find one anyway (if it's too religious wtf are they doing getting him christened anyway?) so I ran out of ideas and just got a cuddly toy. Spent about 30 quid. Just a word of warning, don't buy a money box - my nephew got no less than 4 of them last week. Seems to be the in present.

Comment

If you're a godparent, go for something a bit Christian like a bible (child-friendly or not), or a Noah's Ark, or a football Jesus.

Comment

All kids get a savings account these days - some money in that & some Winnie the tulip crockery did nicely for our niece.

Pewter or silver things seemed to be popular too. IIRC, niece got a few money & trinket boxes.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I'd go for some premium bonds or a bottle of wine/whisky bottled this year.

Everyone else will give them rubbish such as a silver dummy/rattle or a pewter cruet set. Who wants that?

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                  I'd go for some premium bonds or a bottle of wine/whisky bottled this year.

Everyone else will give them rubbish such as a silver dummy/rattle or a pewter cruet set. Who wants that?
                  Pogle Jnr got a 20 year old bottle of whisky, a set of silver first tooth, first curl box a junior bible, a silver cross and chain a silver christening bangle and a gold christening bangle and a lovely silver owl book mark.

All were really nice. At the last one we went to, we bought a Royal Crown Derby baby bunny paperweight. It was lovely and was much appreciated.

So Tony, are you ready to renounce Satan and all his works??

PS - about £50 - as you are the Godfather and it is a big honor
                  Last edited by Pogle; 27 July 2009, 17:07. Reason: PS
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Tony English posted :I've been asked to be the godfather to my niece. Do any of you lot have any good ideas for a christening present
                    Yes.

Don't get one.

When the parents ask why, explain that committing a child to an organisation when the child does not have the freedom of choice to choose is hardly in the child's best interests.

Let the child make an informed and consensual decision later in its life.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X