• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: Judges ready to take legal action over pensions tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear: Judges ready to take legal action over pensions tax

Judges ready to take legal action over pensions tax
    By Frances Gibb, Legal Editor

JUDGES are considering unprecedented legal action against the Government in a row over changes to their pension rights.

A working group of senior judges has instructed leading counsel to advise on the legal options, including suing the Lord Chancellor, Lord Falconer of Thoroton, QC. The move opens up the intriguing question of which judge would hear a case brought by the judiciary against the Lord Chancellor.

One solution would be for the case to be heard by a judge unaffected by the row over pensions. But last night Andrew Tyrie, a Conservative member of the Commons Constitutional Affairs committee, gave a warning against potential legal action. Mr Tyrie said: “If it is the case that parts of the judiciary were considering taking legal action, I would have thought that would be very unwise.”

But both sides in the row have gone to counsel to try to sort out the problem, it is disclosed today in The Lawyer magazine.

The senior judges — as well as the Lord Chancellor’s own legal advisers — have instructed counsel at the leading pensions set of chambers, Wilberforce Chambers, to help to resolve the crisis that has arisen over tax changes to take effect in April which severely hit judges’ pensions. A senior High Court judge confirmed that leading counsel had been instructed, saing: “If you’re asking me, ‘is suing the Department for Constitutional Affairs a theoretical proposition?’, I don’t see why not. If you’re asking me, ‘is it actively under consideration?’, I’m not in a position to say.”

The barristers instructed to tackle the mounting problem are Michael Furness, QC, one of the country’s leading pensions experts, and a junior barrister, Michael Tennet, both from Wilberforce Chambers.

Several judges are threatening to resign unless the Lord Chancellor takes steps by April to protect their pensions from the impact of the new legislation. The Lord Chancellor has pledged to introduce a Judicial Pensions Bill to restore the judges’ position, but that is unlikely to find a slot and, even if it does, is unlikely to be carried by the Commons, which regards it as special pleading by the judiciary.

Lord Woolf, who recently retired as Lord Chief Justice, said that a pay rise of 20 per cent would be needed as compensation if the Lord Chancellor failed to protect judges’ pension rights.

But that option, too, is thought remote as there is insufficient time for a pay rise to be agreed and brought into effect. The crisis has arisen because of tax rules that will impose a lifetime cap of £1.5 million on the sum of accumulated pension savings that qualify for tax relief, after which a tax of 25 per cent, on top of income tax, is imposed.

If no solution is found, some judges will want to look at judicial review proceedings on the basis that they took up their posts under one set of conditions, only to find them drastically changed midway through their tenure.

A Department for Constitutional Affairs spokesman declined to comment on alternatives to the Bill, saying: “Our Bill is still the preferred option as Lord Falconer wants to make sure the judiciary has the right package and the appropriate package for their position and standing.”

Representatives from the Judge’s Council, of which all judges are members and which acts as the collective voice of the judiciary, have met the Government, but have not yet found a solution. .

One judge said: “I can hardly walk out of my room without someone accosting me to talk about pensions.”

Judges argue that they are alone in being penalised among professional groups, undermining their status and deterring high-earning barristers from coming to the Bench.

----

Well a judge bent to government pressure to shaft the IT community over IR35, so why should we be bothered if they also get a taste of that same governments machinations? If they'd done the job they are paid to do back then this would not be happening now.

Essentially my view is sit back and enjoy watching them squirm.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Anyone here still thinking of retiring to France.....?

Id say the next few months might be a good time to snap up a bargain.....
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

NuLabour both privatises and outsources the Law.....

He he... knew it would take 'em long...

From 'Auntie Beeb' ... don't mock her - now she can issues summonses too ..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4414262.stm

"
        Clamping 'to cut court workload'

The aim is to let magistrates deliver 'simpler, speedier justice'
        Wheel clamping and vehicle impounding could be used as an alternative to minor motoring offences going to court, ministers have proposed.
        TV licence and council tax offences could also be fined by mail under plans to remove millions of offences from the magistrates court system.

The plans come in a White Paper also intended to make it easier to take time off work for magistrates.

Lord Falconer said the aim was to make the courts work more effectively.

Offences in spotlight
        Driving licence, MoT and road tax - 1.1 million offences, 2003
        TV licence evasion - 120,352 sentenced in 2004/05
        Non-domestic rates - 400,000 summonses in 2003/04
        Council tax - 4 million summonses in 2003/04

"This paper sets out where we will be taking forward further reforms - many of them based directly on the ideas and suggestions from magistrates, district judges and court staff," he said.

"This needs to be a platform from which we deliver simpler, speedier justice for our communities. Cases take too long to come on. The process is too complex.

"We need to help magistrates to deliver for the law-abiding citizen."

Costly disruption

The White Paper could lead to motorists finding their vehicles immobilised or impounded rather than being taken to court.

"The use of wheel clamping, vehicle impounding and intelligence-led enforcement, together with a national network of enforcement officers operating from the agency's 40 local offices, provides further options for dealing with less serious offences outside the magistrates' courts system," the paper said.

Unveiling the plans, Lord Falconer said: "More wheel clamping would be a good idea."

The BBC and TV Licensing Authority may be given new powers to issue their own summonses for licence dodging.

And the DVLA could also play a greater role in tackling minor motoring crimes, it said.

But Oliver Heald, the Conservative shadow constitutional affairs secretary, said he had "serious concerns about farming out the issuing of fines to non-governmental bodies".

Magistrates' jobs

"This will make them into judge, jury and executioner," he said. "The administration of justice is a matter for the state, not independent organisations with a financial interest like the BBC."

However, despite proposing changes to the way some road offences can be dealt with, ministers are not proposing to remove cases against motorists who have driven without insurance.

This is because it is thought to be a serious offence with broader implications.

The paper says those who refuse to attend court create "costly disruption" and can now expect to be sentenced in their absence unless they have a good reason.

Lord Falconer also said he would consider changes to the law to make it easier for people to take time off work to become Justices of the Peace.

He would encourage courts to have flexible hours and consider reducing the minimum number of sessions a JP has to sit from 26 to 24 half days a year.

"

Feck me ... 24 half days a year.... with a workload like that I think they deserve special exemption from the Pensions Tax their bosses have instigated.... should be able to retire on index full pay at 35.... poor luvvies....

Shouldn't being a Judge, with all the legal powers conveyed, mean they can't be part time and have potentially conflicting business interests...?????

At least the 'criminals' are open about being what they are...
        Last edited by mcquiggd; 7 November 2005, 20:15.
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
        X