• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Drug use is good for you??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drug use is good for you??

Interesting comment in The Times about

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle6726792.ece

When you look at patterns of drug use and psychological health, you find that people who use drugs heavily often are more likely than most to be suffering from other psychological problems. That sounds like common sense, but what is less known is that the same is true of people who abstain from all drug use. Life satisfaction is associated with moderate, occasional drug use.
    May be true but probably the wrong way round, it's that
    only very confident people can take drugs and handle the mental effects.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Only irresponsible people take dangerous recreational drugs IMO. I personally find it very difficult to understand why somebody would appear to want to irrevocably damage their health. My view is that it is not a sign of confidence, but a sign of ignorance and stupidity.

Comment

You make a good point. However I'd add that the same can be said for alcohol, and even to a degree food.

This is worth a look at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTPsFIsxM3w If the figures are to be believed we should be taking a much more liberal line.

Comment

The first step to removing drug problem from the streets is to legalise it.

The second step is to tax it.

There's no reason those crims should be getting all of that lovely revenue.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

those dirty foreigners would only lick the Heroin spoon

Did I tell you about the latest plane crash? Some people with swine flu were on board. That gave me a super chuff on!

Cyberspoon
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
            Only irresponsible people take dangerous recreational drugs IMO. I personally find it very difficult to understand why somebody would appear to want to irrevocably damage their health. My view is that it is not a sign of confidence, but a sign of ignorance and stupidity.
            because it's fun. Obviously. And I never planned to tiptoe thru life just so I could arrive at the grave safely.

I'll stick with Steve Jobs on this one - taking recreational drugs was one of the best things I ever did (note past tense).

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
              When David Cameron was asked if he had ever done cocaine he replied "not since I became an MP" and refused to answer any more questions on it, everyone knows he smoke hash at school.

Was your pea sized brain not aware of that?

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                The first step to removing drug problem from the streets is to legalise it.

The second step is to tax it.

There's no reason those crims should be getting all of that lovely revenue.
                I think the Swiss method appears to have been most effective to provide clinics were addicts can get their fix, but to offer them a chance to slowly come off drugs in the controlled clinic environment.

Back that up with an education campaigns which don't make drugs seem glamourous.

Free access to drugs would just see more sad casualties.

Comment

"Life satisfaction is associated with moderate, occasional drug use. "

If that is true its a pity that some of them are so addictive!

Comment

Yes, that's why we all used to sit around stoned out of our heads pretending that the tulip we were smoking wasn't up to much when in reality we'd all have cold clammy hands and faces like parchment.

Comment

Working...
                    X