• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Side effects of steroids……

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side effects of steroids……

I am on Pednisolone to settle down a skin infection (second prescription for this, on 4 5mg a day).

At Body attack I was on fire – could have done the class all over last night which is mad as did a very energetic session on Sunday morning.

Skin going a little on the orange side

Lost it with Out-Sourcing guys yesterday delivering vague and sanitized test reports and dropping a few chutneys, to the point of saying get it sorted or you may well be on the next flight to the East.

I am normally a really placid, calm person, but kind of enjoying the new me!!

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    I am on Pednisolone to settle down a skin infection (second prescription for this, on 4 5mg a day).

At Body attack I was on fire – could have done the class all over last night which is mad as did a very energetic session on Sunday morning.

Lost it with Out-Sourcing guys yesterday delivering vague and sanitized test reports and dropping a few chutneys, to the point of saying get it sorted or you may well be on the next flight to the East.

Interestingly, this is how I react when I'm off my SNRI meds. You may have a mild case of what the media have referred to as "roid rage":

From the mid-1980s onwards the popular press has been reporting "roid rage" as a side effect of AAS.[60] A 2005 review determined that some, but not all, randomized controlled studies have found that anabolic steroid use correlates with hypomania and increased aggressiveness, but pointed out that attempts to determine whether AAS use triggers violent behaviour have failed, primarily because of high rates of non-participation.[61] A 2008 study on a nationally representative sample of young adult males in the United States found an association between lifetime and past-year self-reported anabolic-androgenic steroid use and involvement in violent acts. Compared with individuals who did not use steroids, young adult males who used anabolic-androgenic steroids reported greater involvement in violent behaviors even after controlling for the effects of key demographic variables, previous violent behavior, and polydrug use.[62] A 1996 review examining the blind studies available at that time also found that these had demonstrated a link between aggression and steroid use, but pointed out that with estimates of over one million past or current steroid users in the United States at that time, an extremely small percentage of those using steroids appear to have experienced mental disturbance severe enough to result in clinical treatments or medical case reports.[63]

A 1996 randomized controlled trial, which involved 43 men, did not find an increase in the occurrence of angry behavior during 10 weeks of administration of testosterone enanthate at 600 mg/week, but this study screened out subjects that had previously abused steroids or had any psychiatric antecedents.[29][64] A trial conducted in 2000 using testosterone cypionate at 600 mg/week found that treatment significantly increased manic scores on the YMRS, and aggressive responses on several scales. The drug response was highly variable, however: 84% of subjects exhibited minimal psychiatric effects, 12% became mildly hypomanic, and 4% (2 subjects) became markedly hypomanic. The mechanism of these variable reactions could not be explained by demographic, psychological, laboratory, or physiological measures.[65]

A 2006 study of two pairs of identical twins, in which one twin used anabolic steroids and the other did not, found that in both cases the steroid-using twin exhibited high levels of aggressiveness, hostility, anxiety and paranoid ideation not found in the "control" twin.[66] A small scale study of 10 AAS users found that cluster B personality disorders were confounding factors for aggression. Yet this has not been proven by the medical community.[67]
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roid_ra..._and_hypomania

Have you discussed it with your GP? I'm not remotely qualified to give any medical advice and the above information came from personal experience and Wikipedia.

Comment

sh*t this sounds like me ... and I don't even take steroids
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Prednisolone is a Corticosteroid, not body building anabolic steriod. You ain't the ******* hulk mate!

Comment

I've taken tons of those little red buggers in the past.

I wont take them oraly any more, the last lot made me very angry indeed!

I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

... I am normally a really placid, calm person, but kind of enjoying the new me!!
            Crikey, there'll be carnage on the M6 next time some stupid driver pisses off Wilmslow - He'll be like Terminator 3 on the rampage!
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
              I've taken tons of those little red buggers in the past.

I wont take them oraly any more, the last lot made me very angry indeed!

You are Neo AICMFP

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Prednisolone is a Corticosteroid, not body building anabolic steriod. You ain't the ******* hulk mate!
                Oops.

Just goes to show how little I know.

Comment

There are a lot of side effects with Steriods. Read the leaflet that came with them. If you have gone straight to 45mg - which I am hoping is just to typo - then you should (in my view) be an inpatient.

Personally I've been on prednisolone for a neuro/immune condition for some years. I am on a maintenace dose of 7mg (combined with other immuno suppresants) - though was as high as 80.

Common side effects:-

Mood swings
                  Osteoporosis
                  Europhoria
                  Depression
                  Excessive Appetite
                  Lack of appetite
                  Excessive tiredness
                  Insomina
                  Gastric problems (not uncommon for probanthine or omeprazole to also be prescribed to alleviate gastric symptoms).

(yes I know most of these are contradictory).

There are a whole load of things. However most of the side effects are related to long term use. If you are on a small dose for a few days then apart from going generally a bit mental you should be fine. When your treatment finishes it should be remembered that it is very easy to build up a dependency and best way off - even from small dosages can be a gradual reduction over a few weeks.

edit: BTW enteric coated tablets (possibly the little re buggers pogle refers to) are much better on the digestion than non coated. It's something to do with absorbtion rates. Though these are only currently available in 5mg and 25mg, not 1mg.

You might find this useful if you haven't read it already: http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/Prednisolone.htm
                  Last edited by ASB; 28 July 2009, 09:47.

Comment

I was going to respond, but noticed that it is Wilmslow.

<< Canned laughter >>
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X