• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Turning down a contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning down a contract

Anyone ever turned down a contract?

I've just been to an interview where the PM seemed to be completely mad; he spent 30 minutes telling me all his tales of woe about his Client's software supplier, based in India (of all places?!?), the tulip deliveries, the constant delays that are only announced at the last minute, the complete incompetence of the developers etc and I thought 'do I need this in my life?' The man, who actually seemed like he'd be a nice bloke outside of the workplace, has obviously been driven to distraction; I suggested measures he could take, but every suggestion was met with 'I've tried that and it still didn't help' or 'they don't understand what a risk analysis/Moscow analysis/sprint planning etc is'

So there I sat, doing my social worker thing, smiling in recognition and laughing at his colourful and at times quite humourous description of the shower of cretins he feels he has to work with, thinking 'I can't really help this guy'.

I'm really thinking of phoning and telling them I don't want it.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

I've turned down loads of contracts (this was before the credit crunch mind).

It's not a big deal. Just say "no".

Comment

You mean it isn't like that everywhere?

Don't turn it down yet ...
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I've turned down loads of contracts (this was before the credit crunch mind).

It's not a big deal. Just say "no".
        I think I will. The guy was an image of the person i don't want to be. I actually started to feel sorry for him.

Comment

Alternatively, you could arrive and a la Mandelson usurp him?

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            You mean it isn't like that everywhere?
            Yes it is, but the PM seemed to me to be close to a breakdown; I'm not so sure I could work with him. I think a stress counsellor or a Zen Buddhist monk might be able to help more.

Comment

Poor bloke

That contract would be a guaranteed pain. If the PM's stressed out it's either because he can't handle it or he's not receiving the necessary support from above. Either way, you'll take the brunt of it.

Comment

Sounds like a perfect role for a tester, you can sit with your feet up reading the paper all day and nobody will know the difference.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Sounds like my PM from the place I left about a year ago....

... where I suspect I was the cause of his mental deterioration

T.

Comment

Did you ask him why they had outsourced the software to India in the first place? What did he expect to happen?!
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X