• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working Dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working Dilemma

I have been asked to do a big chunk of work but have been told that some of the code has recently been written by someone on the team for another project. I was told just to copy and paste that code into my project and get it working. The problem is that the code is really really crap, just about works but totally brittle and will fall over quite often.

Do I..

Tell the PM that the code 'needs a bit of reworking' thus pissing off the permie developers which will definitely cause an 'use and them' fight in the office? ( they don't speak to us already )

Just use the code and run the very high risk of getting the blame when it falls over in the up and coming demo and get no extension?
    Tell the PM it is crap and start a war
    40.91%
    Just use it and look crap
    0.00%
    Invite andyW's mum round for a game of 'hide the chutney spoon' on my desk
    59.09%

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I have been asked to do a big chunk of work but have been told that some of the code has recently been written by someone on the team for another project. I was told just to copy and paste that code into my project and get it working. The problem is that the code is really really crap, just about works but totally brittle and will fall over quite often.

Do I..

Tell the PM that the code 'needs a bit of reworking' thus pissing off the permie developers which will definitely cause an 'use and them' fight in the office? ( they don't speak to us already )

Just use the code and run the very high risk of getting the blame when it falls over in the up and coming demo and get no extension?
    Explain that you haven't really had enough time to properly integrate the existing code and the work should be treated as a prototype.
    Try and do the demo yourself in the hope that you can avoid the really big problem areas.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

It has been handed to me as a 'final cut'.

Comment

Be up front with the manager.

Can you say yes, but you need to stress-test the code first?

Then offer the permies your test plan. If they get uppity about that, f*** 'em.

Comment

It has been handed to me as a 'final cut'.
          Has it been properly tested? How has it been tested? How long is the defect list? Do you have adequate documentation of all the interfaces etc.?

Assuming everyone (else) is happy with it I reckon you'll just have to do your best. And whatever you do - don't fix it!
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I was told just to copy and paste that code into my project and get it working.
            Get it working implies you need to re-work it, no brainer!!!
            Get the code, improve and enhance it, get it working, then go and tell the PM and explain to him the improvements you made (ensure permie is not there- if the permie is there, compliment the permie's original code, and just say even though the code was really good and working I had to change this because ... and that because...

Comment

I was told just to copy and paste that code into my project
              "That is a terribly inefficient way of working. May I suggest the developer who wrote it converts it into a library routine? They should be able to do it in an hour or two but it would take me days. If they then just document the inputs and outputs, we can re-use it lots of times. Then, having established the principle, you could suggest its re-use elsewhere and you will look like the Project Management Hero."

Said permie will then have to fix it themselves. Alternatively, you get a black box that does not conform to its own documentation and the PM will want it fixed. No work needed from you.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                "That is a terribly inefficient way of working. May I suggest the developer who wrote it converts it into a library routine? They should be able to do it in an hour or two but it would take me days. If they then just document the inputs and outputs, we can re-use it lots of times. Then, having established the principle, you could suggest its re-use elsewhere and you will look like the Project Management Hero."

Said permie will then have to fix it themselves. Alternatively, you get a black box that does not conform to its own documentation and the PM will want it fixed. No work needed from you.
                ah.....theory is a wonderful thing.

He'll then be told, yeah, can you just copy it in and get it working, and then be refered to as the smart arse contractor

Comment

I would get it working but would place as many comments in the code as possible to reference what I'd had to change and why.

Comment

Great andyw option

Comment

Working...
                    X