• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Having to work with a Numpty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having to work with a Numpty

Hi, advice needed...

Just recently I had to walk away from a contract due to working with a colleague who was shocking at his work, mistakes were constantly being made and due to being in a small team I was being put in the spotlight as well. I tried to assist him on every occasion and took him for coffee's to understand where he was struggling but he was on the defensive 24 7 to such an extent I didn't trust him.

To cut a short story even shorter being banded as a cowboy by the project was beginning to wear thin so I asked to move to another team. One manager said yes but was then over ruled by his manager so I had to stay with numpty which I couldn't do. If I had stayed I'm almost certain I would have been dragged into his murky ways and then been sacked eventually.

I didn't state to the manager what I thought of the guy apart from I felt he was struggling in certain area's and went down the route of I feel my skills could be utilised else where, he didn't agree so I walked.

Obviously I'm feeling hard done by now as it was a cracking contract which was using my skills, I've been contracting for approx 12 years but it was the first time I have ever been in this type of situation before. The other guy was defending his patch so to speak I know; but I couldn't back stab him in a mindless manner which I feel is tasteless. How could I have approached it in a constructive manner and come out on top in a situation like this?

Has it happened to any one here?

Rant over, thanks for listening...

I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Originally posted by digerido View Post
      Hi, advice needed...

Just recently I had to walk away from a contract due to working with a colleague who was shocking at his work, mistakes were constantly being made and due to being in a small team I was being put in the spotlight as well. I tried to assist him on every occasion and took him for coffee's to understand where he was struggling but he was on the defensive 24 7 to such an extent I didn't trust him.

To cut a short story even shorter being banded as a cowboy by the project was beginning to wear thin so I asked to move to another team. One manager said yes but was then over ruled by his manager so I had to stay with numpty which I couldn't do. If I had stayed I'm almost certain I would have been dragged into his murky ways and then been sacked eventually.

I didn't state to the manager what I thought of the guy apart from I felt he was struggling in certain area's and went down the route of I feel my skills could be utilised else where, he didn't agree so I walked.

Obviously I'm feeling hard done by now as it was a cracking contract which was using my skills, I've been contracting for approx 12 years but it was the first time I have ever been in this type of situation before. The other guy was defending his patch so to speak I know; but I couldn't back stab him in a mindless manner which I feel is tasteless. How could I have approached it in a constructive manner and come out on top in a situation like this?

Has it happened to any one here?

Rant over, thanks for listening...
      Yes it happened to me. tulipe programmers are constantly on edge, and afraid of being exposed. This makes them a problem, and a threat.

Your mistake was to go for clandestine coffee breaks to explain things. I wouldn't be suprised if he was slagging you off to the bosses behind your back, hence you being branded with the cowboy coder tag.

By going for private chats you kind of played into his hands a bit. It would be better to let him struggle, visibly, and then arrange to put aside some time for him. That way, he is YOUR bitch, and the management know you are a good guy who patiently mentors their staff, and they are getting good value out of you.

You aren't stabbing this guy in the back by doing this. He has areas of weakness, and these need to be identified and then remedied with the appropriate training. Is/was it in your brief to train their staff? I suspect not.

Next time, let the guy dangle for a bit, and don't rush in to help.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Any good contractor would use this type of muppet to make themselves look good. A bit like going on the pull with an ugly friend.

<snip>
        Last edited by ferret; 29 July 2009, 09:26. Reason: No need for that. Deep breaths please Turion.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
          Any good contractor would use this type of muppet to make themselves look good. A bit like going on the pull with an ugly friend.

<snip>
          I have a good feeling about this one. Reckon it's real.
          Last edited by ferret; 29 July 2009, 09:26. Reason: Remove quote
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I had a simmilar experience a couple of years ago, the guy had claimed to have over 15 years experience in a very niche technology that he clearley had never seen before and tried to learn the week before starting.

I tried to help him a bit, which was a mistake as he saw this as carte blanche to bug me all the time. When it started to impact on my projects I had a quiet word with the client who thanked me for giving him the amunition needed to get rid of the idiot.
            Still Invoicing

Comment

Did he do it to backstab you and get you out? if so, he won.
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Indeed a tricky situation.

In my earlier days, I also worked with some guy who wasnt up to the job. But he was a great schmoozer. I of course helped him out and covered for him when it came to renewal time they decided they only needed one contractor. Well it wasnt me who got the gig, it was him. When I left he also threatened to leave and negotiated his rate up another 30%. In hindsight I shouldnt have helped him.

Now it's different. I am now the boss and recently promoted have team of 25, both contractors and permanent. I have undertaken a review of all my resource, and effectively I have teamed individuals together in a 'batting buddy' kind of way. I have one strong business individual assigned with one strong technical individual. Paired in this way, they are both responsible for delivery on a task/project.

Now an individual has been bought to my attention by two customers (one of whom is my bosses/boss - who wanted the individual sacked - being american we can do this immediately). I decided to review the individuals work for the client and got his batting buddy to do the same. The batting buddy on my instruction then reviewed the chaps work and recommended changes, I reviewed the batting buddies recommendations.

In this case, the individual who is being coached has decided not to take the recommendations or make the changes as he feels he is working in the best way for his skillset, I disagree, his buddy disagrees and the customer still isnt happy.

In this case, he has now been exposed, given the opportunity to change and been provided help.

You can guess what's going to happen next!
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Indeed a tricky situation.

In my earlier days, I also worked with some guy who wasnt up to the job. But he was a great schmoozer. I of course helped him out and covered for him when it came to renewal time they decided they only needed one contractor. Well it wasnt me who got the gig, it was him. When I left he also threatened to leave and negotiated his rate up another 30%. In hindsight I shouldnt have helped him.

Now it's different. I am now the boss and recently promoted have team of 25, both contractors and permanent. I have undertaken a review of all my resource, and effectively I have teamed individuals together in a 'batting buddy' kind of way. I have one strong business individual assigned with one strong technical individual. Paired in this way, they are both responsible for delivery on a task/project.

Now an individual has been bought to my attention by two customers (one of whom is my bosses/boss - who wanted the individual sacked - being american we can do this immediately). I decided to review the individuals work for the client and got his batting buddy to do the same. The batting buddy on my instruction then reviewed the chaps work and recommended changes, I reviewed the batting buddies recommendations.

In this case, the individual who is being coached has decided not to take the recommendations or make the changes as he feels he is working in the best way for his skillset, I disagree, his buddy disagrees and the customer still isnt happy.

In this case, he has now been exposed, given the opportunity to change and been provided help.

You can guess what's going to happen next!
                  But what if he gets sacked and then becomes your stalker waiting for you outside after work wearing an anorak and carrying a meat cleaver ? has this not been considered in his appraisal ?

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post

Then again your just another cock puppet so f off
                    Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Thank you for the advice. I did actually start to go down the route of letting him struggle for a while that way I thought I would see what he was struggling with. He was adamant he was always right so I let him carry on set in his ways, hindsight tells me now I should have stopped him in his tracks.

You're right he was most likely stabbing me in the back, gutted.

I left with integrity but the man has my cash, the mofo
                    Last edited by ferret; 29 July 2009, 09:26. Reason: Remove quote

Comment

Working...
                    X