• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vista Home Basic Security

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista Home Basic Security

Hi

I've bought my son an Inspirion 1525 off ebay (plenty cheapness), and it's arrived, boots up fine but has the blokes user account and the guest account.

I want to clear it down and set it up for my son but I cannot do anything with the Guest account (UAC stops everything) and do not know the password for the blokes account (I've emailed him but not confident of a reply). The Administrator account is disabled by default and I've tried the solutions from Google (boot in safe mode etc) but I still cannot access the Administrator account. Is there a way of resetting the blokes user password? I've done this before in XP by booting from a USB drive, but not sure about Vista.

Any help appreciated

The seller is obviously a numpty and has probably left all his personal info on the machine so won't want you to have the password (likely it's the same as his fleabay account password).

Does the machine still have the recovery partition on? If so, boot using that (I suspect it's CTRL + F11) and let it reload Vista and you can create a username of your choice during the process.
    The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

Thanks KevinS for the quick reply.

Stupid question, it does have the Recovery drive but how do I boot from that?

Cheers

Comment

It should be just pressing CTRL+F11 during the boot (when the DELL POST screen is showing) should force it into recovery mode.. Failing that F8 or F10 during the POST (or whatever the screen says is the key for 'Boot Options' should allow you to pick the recovery process.
        The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
          Thanks KevinS for the quick reply.

Stupid question, it does have the Recovery drive but how do I boot from that?

Cheers
          IIRC F11 during the boot sequence, before it gots to the windows startup screen, should do it.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I assume you don't have a CD?

If it was me, I'd want to completely wipe and reinstall a second hand computer anyway.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

If it was me, I'd want to completely wipe and reinstall a second hand computer anyway.
              If he can use the recovery partition that is what will happen. It reformats the OS partition and reinstalls from scratch. Equivalent to flattening it and installing from CD.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

Ditto.

Comment

Nope, can't use the recovery option, as it asks for the administrator password which is disabled!

I'll reinstall, found the DVD under all the bubble wrap.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

sounds like it was stolen and the "seller" realised they couldnt login as they lacked the IT knowledge
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X