• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

help!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help!

Hi

Need some urgent advice.

I'm trying to get back into work after 3 years absence due to personal circumstances. Primarily from a support background.

Can I still get back into contracting or would I have to apply for perm positions? How easy would it be for me to get back as the huge gap on the cv doesn't look too good. Is there anywhere of tailoring this or is it best to state it as it is.

Have both perm and contract experience with 'high-value' companies in the past.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

s

If you've been out of work for 3 years then the chances are your skills are not up to date. This is more of an issue than the actual 3 years gap

You should take some time out to get up to date on your skills if you can, because contractors are employed and expected to hit the ground running.

If the gap can be explained by an illness of some kind that has been "cured" and unlikely to recur, then you can probably get some short term (3-6 month) contracts whilst you rebuild your recent work history. Most companies will risk 3 months on someone with the skillsets they require.

Good Luck.

Comment

Thanks alot for your advice. Really appreciate it.

Actually I have been updating my skills and on the way to taking clp exams. Hope that adds value and better chance of securing work.

Cheers

s

Comment

Working...
      X