• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mind the oranges Marlon...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mind the oranges Marlon...

I have been reminiscing a lot just lately, (maybe its the long tube journeys - ) anyway I've been thinking about the comic 2000AD - which I started to read from the first issue (- thanks to two older brothers) I read it and I became hooked.

It was full of great writers, fantastic artists and loads of brilliant characters, future worlds and great aliens. I remember how flushed with pride I was when Tharg printed my letter and how annoyed I was that my 'Joe Pineapples' mug never arrived.

Judge Dredd (- Christ the movie was a disappointment!) Slaine, Rogue Trooper, Invasion 1999, Dr & Quinch, Chopper, Jonny Alpha, Ace Trucking the ABC Warriers, Thargs future shocks etc.. etc..

But most of all Halo Jones, she was brilliant, but there were only a handful of stories. She was ordinary and did extraordinary things, she escaped banality and she was my heroine. I remember the last story about her moved me to tears. Many years later Mr P bought me the book of all her episodes and I was in heaven.

2000AD got me into other comics Judge Dread monthly and Warrier - which had the original V for Vendetta in it. But none were as good as 2000AD.

I still have the first 10 issues of Warrier and loads of old 2000ADs but they're in boxes in the garage - no doubt being turned to worm food as we speak.

Any old 2000AD fans out there - what was your favourite story?
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Never 'eard of it. Mad Magazine was good.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
      I have been reminiscing a lot just lately, (maybe its the long tube journeys - ) anyway I've been thinking about the comic 2000AD - which I started to read from the first issue (- thanks to two older brothers) I read it and I became hooked.

It was full of great writers, fantastic artists and loads of brilliant characters, future worlds and great aliens. I remember how flushed with pride I was when Tharg printed my letter and how annoyed I was that my 'Joe Pineapples' mug never arrived.

Judge Dredd (- Christ the movie was a disappointment!) Slaine, Rogue Trooper, Invasion 1999, Dr & Quinch, Chopper, Jonny Alpha, Ace Trucking the ABC Warriers, Thargs future shocks etc.. etc..

But most of all Halo Jones, she was brilliant, but there were only a handful of stories. She was ordinary and did extraordinary things, she escaped banality and she was my heroine. I remember the last story about her moved me to tears. Many years later Mr P bought me the book of all her episodes and I was in heaven.

2000AD got me into other comics Judge Dread monthly and Warrier - which had the original V for Vendetta in it. But none were as good as 2000AD.

I still have the first 10 issues of Warrier and loads of old 2000ADs but they're in boxes in the garage - no doubt being turned to worm food as we speak.

Any old 2000AD fans out there - what was your favourite story?
      Yep, used to love reading the Fink Bros and Rogue Trooper.
      We still have issues 1-220 around somewhere, better look them out as I would imagine they are quite valuable these days.

PZZ

Comment

Some of the guys who used to write on 2000AD started in a comic called Battle. Used to get this as a kid. Started following up on this recently. Johnny Red, The Sarge, etc. Charlies War is being printed in bound books, about 1 per year covering about 6 months of story - absolutely brilliant and great nostalgia.

They don't do comics like that now do they?

BTW - V for Vendetta, absolutely fantastic comic strip, again poor film (but watchable for Natalie Portman!).

BTW - nice to have no CB baiting and his banal responses.
        Beer
        is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

flesh

Comment

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
            Some of the guys who used to write on 2000AD started in a comic called Battle. Used to get this as a kid.
            Crikey, there's a blast from the past - I remember reading that as well.
            Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I've just started re-reading all my Fabulous Freak Brothers and Wonder Warthog and Paranoid Punkpig comics again. Pretty good stuff from Gilbert Shelton (especially Fat Freddy's Cat)
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Halo and I still read and collect 2000 AD, and I have done since Prog 1.

Too many excellent character to list in full, but firm favourites are :

Judge Dredd
                Slaine
                DR & Quinch
                Sinister Dexter
                A.B.C. Warriors
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                  Halo and I still read and collect 2000 AD, and I have done since Prog 1.
                  I remember many years ago friends of mine buying 2000AD issue 1. I can still remember clearly being in the local newsagent at the very moment!

I guess they chucked it away after reading. I guess it's worth a ton of cash these days?

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
                    flesh
                    Claw Carver!!
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                    X