• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When the self-confidence goes...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the self-confidence goes...

Been in this position before (6 months on the bench) but suspect if I can't get work soon, will never work in IT again. Last two contracts were extended, so I know I can still just about cut the mustard, but if I never get past the gatekeepers it all becomes academic.

So do I:
    a) go bankrupt, and learn to sit in the park all day.
    b) Go sky-diving off Beachy head without parachute
    c) Drive a car into Glasgow airport
    d) Learn to carry bags at the local posh hotel
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Been in this position before (6 months on the bench) but suspect if I can't get work soon, will never work in IT again. Last two contracts were extended, so I know I can still just about cut the mustard, but if I never get past the gatekeepers it all becomes academic.

So do I:
    Hotel option sounds good - think about Hotel Babylon!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
      Hotel option sounds good - think about Hotel Babylon!
      Now you put it that way.....
      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

I'm just hoping no major outdoor political rallies take place locally. The temptation to drive there (very quickly) will be too much

Comment

So do I:
          Cobblers.

HTH
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Cobblers.

HTH
            You're suggesting a career in shoe-making?

Interesting idea.

Comment

So do I:
              If it's just the gap in your CV, I'm sure someone else here would be willing to provide a reference for a fictitious contract with them if you do the same.

I'm sure there have been people who have found a contract after more than a year on the bench. What would worry me more is the war chest steadily emptying.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

So do I:
                Keep your chin up. I suspect from various discussions I have had that September could be busy for those of you hunting for contracts...partly because companies have been cut more than to the bone, and some work doesn't simply go away, and partly because a fair few quality contractors have crossed over to the dark side and gone permie.

I suggest enjoying the "summer" and then going for it when the schools go back. You may be surprised how busy it gets (depending on what it is you do of course).
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  You're suggesting a career in shoe-making?

Interesting idea.
                  May be time for the shoe-shine career option

Comment

There is IT work about... you'll just have to lower your standard of living to that of a street sweeper.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X