• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giving up alcohol

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving up alcohol

Going to give it a go. Not that I was a massive drinker anyway. But I suspect that some of my so-called "mates" will suddenly become supremely uninteresting without the warm beery glow.
    Anyone else tried it?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Tried it a few months ago - managed one day.

Comment

Multiple times, longest I lasted was 16 months. Funny thing was each time got easyer. Now bearly drink at all (once every two months)

Really nice thing is now when i drink my bar bill is a hell of a lot less if looking to get reasonably drunk as my resistance has gone to hell.

Comment

Yes... which is difficult in Scotland as the social life does often revolve around booze.

I limit myself to drinking wine mostly... try to keep it to friday and saturday nights if possible as i have overdone it before on a 'school night'...

Best thing is to branch out into a different social circle.. im into different genres of cinema, comedy, meals out etc... but most of the culture here is pubs / clubs... it takes perservance...

I have to say when i realised i was spending an average of 2k a month on booze I saw the light.
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
          I have to say when i realised i was spending an average of 2k a month on booze I saw the light.
          Bloody hell man. How can you spend 2K a month on alcohol?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

>Bloody hell man. How can you spend 2K a month on alcohol?

Ah the good old days, walking into a bar, flashing the gold card and ordering a couple of bottles of vintage Dom Perignon to impress the girlies.

Threaded.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
              >Bloody hell man. How can you spend 2K a month on alcohol?

Ah the good old days, walking into a bar, flashing the gold card and ordering a couple of bottles of vintage Dom Perignon to impress the girlies.

Threaded.
              We were once on a jolly in Poland doing a branch upgrade, he would go into the girly bars and buy bottles of shampoo, until he discovered how much he had spent and went as white as a ghost, oddly the girls all disappeared, apart from two very "occomodating" one's I seem the remember
              SA says;
              Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              (whatever these are)

Comment

2K a month on alcohol

A thousand pints of Whitbread pale ale for example, which would be 33 pints a day, or 12 bottles of wine a day.

Sh*t

Did you cut down or simply fall over?

I'm alright Jack

Comment

2k a month is easy... 1k in one day on champagne, long island iced teas, a £275 bottle of Chateau Latour '78, a £175 quid bottle of white (cant remember which), oh and some food and a romatic view over Edinburgh from the balcony of the Tower Restaurant at 1am on our own...

Thats why I contract I guess. I have to to support the lifestyle...!

P.S that was when I had just had a signed renewal for 6 months for £50 an hour - highest rate ive had in Scotland, and the first 'proper' date with the current ex-to-be. Unfortunately a week later Atos Origin reneged on their signed contract.
                  Last edited by mcquiggd; 7 November 2005, 14:14.
                  Vieze Oude Man

Comment

All on expenses, I hope...
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X