• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Algeria

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Algeria

Anyone been there in recent years? Was thinking of getting the ferry over to oran for a long weekend to have a look around.
    There's just this nagging voice at the back of my head telling me I could end up being decapitated with a blunt knife like Nick Berg. Undue paranoia, I'm sure.

Load of problems in the 90s, not completely cleared up. Wouldn't go.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Ditto. They were killing tourists in the 1990s.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

What is their position regarding Chutney Spoons ?
        Bored.

Comment

Well on the FCO site they say there have been a few bombings over recent years, but you get those here too - there was one on Tuesday in fact.
          Scrolling down, though, I see they mention a high threat of kidnapping in Algeria by Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb. That's the bit that would worry me. Would be good to go though, the ferry goes from just behing where I work so it's a temptation.

Comment

With a name like mine you won't get me near the place. I actually considered a role out there in the mid 90's but then on newsnight that very night they had a story on about the triangle of death in Algeria. I decided against it!
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Well on the FCO site they say there have been a few bombings over recent years, but you get those here too - there was one on Tuesday in fact.
              There's been one on Mallorca now - 2 killed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8176601.stm
              Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post

Crikey - they're still going strong despite a lot of their old guard having been rounded up recently.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post

But that's Eta, nothing to do with jihadists AFAIK.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                    Crikey - they're still going strong despite a lot of their old guard having been rounded up recently.
                    Amazed they've managed to stage an attack on Mallorca too. On the mainland it's just a question of driving to your target, but how the f*** did they smuggle explosives onto the Balearics? Going to be some serious questions being asked by the security chiefs.
                    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                    X