• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No point waiting for cheap houses....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No point waiting for cheap houses....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...ationwide.html

Britain’s biggest building society admitted that such a scenario would have been “unthinkable” just a few months ago when house prices reached record lows.

The average price of a home rose 1.3 per cent in July to £158,871 and follows a 1 per cent rise in June.

As they say, house prices only ever go up.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

What's your timeframe for moving? How long can you wait for?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      What's your timeframe for moving? How long can you wait for?
      3 years max from here.

Comment

Britain’s biggest building society admitted that such a scenario would have been “unthinkable” just a few months ago when house prices reached record lows.
        Er... record lows against what figures?

Certainly not multiple of income.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          Er... record lows against what figures?

Certainly not multiple of income.
          Pah! You could never make it as a journalist!

Comment

Heheheeh..... I detect panic-buyers

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

I can't see the point in people mortgaging themselves to the hilt to buy a house that they can rent considerably cheaper.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
                I can't see the point in people mortgaging themselves to the hilt to buy a house that they can rent considerably cheaper.

tim

If you buy a house you will eventually own it and then have about twenty years rent free and mortgage free in retirement. If you don't buy and you live to 100 it could indeed be very expensive renting !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  If you buy a house you will eventually own it and then have about twenty years rent free and mortgage free in retirement. If you don't buy and you live to 100 it could indeed be very expensive renting !!!!
                  Indeed, but at the moment I'm saving close to £1500 a month by renting. Hard to argue with, but I'm sure you find some crappy stat to support your untenable position.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                    If you rent a house you can save lots of money and buy a house outright in twenty years. In that time period if you're clever you can jump in and buy when the market is low.

I am about to rent a house. The (likely) rent is cheaper than the interest on a typical mortgage to buy.
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X