• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Lovely. A new tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Lovely. A new tax

Lead story in tomorrow's paper.

Not clear how contractors will be charged. Possibly more than employees on same site as they may get parking as a perk. If there is resistance from the natives then NuLabor can spin it by charging more according to engine cc, cost, gender of owner etc.

Remember Comrades, we must squeeze them till the pips squeak.

Motorists to pay £250 tax for parking at work

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...g-at-work.html

The country’s first “workplace parking levy” will come into force in Nottingham in 2012 and is likely to be adopted by other councils.

Under the scheme, any firm with 11 or more staff parking spaces will be charged £250 a year for each. That cost could rise to £350 within two years.

Employers would be free to pass the cost on to their staff. An estimated 40,000 commuters in Nottingham drive to work and some businesses have threatened to leave the area if the scheme is introduced.

Business associations oppose the extra cost, which has been put at more than £3 billion if it were rolled out nationwide. About 10 million people in Britain drive to work every day.

Councils in Milton Keynes, Exeter, Cambridge and Oxford have expressed interest in the scheme.

The Core Cities Group, which represents Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle and Sheffield, has also expressed interest, identifying the levy's “congestion-busting” potential.

The scheme will be endorsed by Sadiq Khan, the transport minister, during a visit to Nottingham on Friday.

If a nonentity like Nottingham can open at £250 initially (rising, always rising), what price a Manchester or Edinburgh or the South East ? Do I hear £500 at the back Sir ? Chelsea Tractor .... £750, best price to you.
    Last edited by LegendsWear7; 31 July 2009, 00:03. Reason: south east suggestion

To quote an old timer of this board named pF.

"The Scumervent take and do not give my dear boy".

Comment

Its genius - allow Planning Departments to approve out of town industrial estates with little public transport but huge car parks, then tax the car parks. Awesome!

Comment

Of course. Labour are totally incapable of working out ways of reducing taxes. The only sure thing about them is that they will continue to screw up the economy by reducing the spending power of every business and individual through higher and higher levels of taxation. It has always been the case, but the stupid british electorate continue to vote for more and more of this crap government.

Comment

Well at least it will put up the chances of a car park space in the client car park. Some sites I have been at the car park is full by 8:30 in the morning.

Comment

Yet another tax on just getting to work. Surely there can't be many taxing opportunities left?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
              Of course. Labour are totally incapable of working out ways of reducing taxes. The only sure thing about them is that they will continue to screw up the economy by reducing the spending power of every business and individual through higher and higher levels of taxation. It has always been the case, but the stupid british electorate continue to vote for more and more of this crap government.
              No we won't we, must oust this Orwellian, corrupt government at the next election. Make sure you vote and everyone else you have ever known against this complacent administration.

Do you think the governent have done a great job of pulling the UK out of a recession ? I see failed small / large businesses everywhere, forced redundancies, high unemployment, lack of employment / business opportunities, still zero control of the banks and their lending and their practices, high street shops shut down, a massive drop in expenditure (just go into shops and compare your shopping high street on a Saturday to 1.5 years ago) and taxation on the up (wait for VAT increase folks).
              Last edited by eliquant; 31 July 2009, 06:49.

Comment

What next? X hundred pounds a year to park your car on your own drive at home, added to your council tax.

Comment

This pi**es me off big time.

Are the people that come up with these rules really that stupid or do they all live in their london bubble where public transport is half decent?

I currently drive to work, and park, because there is no realistic public transport alternative.

My drive takes around 1hr 30 mins each way,

To get a train would take 3 hours, 2 changes plus walking time [not to mention at least 3x the cost of driving].

Sort out the public transport, don't let stagecoach charge me £3.80 for a single 10 minute trip from my house to the train station on a bus, and then you can start to introduce these tuliped taxes.

</rant>

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
                    Yet another tax on just getting to work. Surely there can't be many taxing opportunities left?
                    Under the provisions of IR666 - Christmas Presents will be taxed along with Kids Pocket Money - altough income derived from the Tooth Fairy will be tax Free until 2012 (subject to status ).

Comment

Working...
                    X