• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion...

Not quite...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8174643.stm

It looks pretty fuzzy to me though.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 29 March 2017, 13:00.

Betelgeuse is so big that if it were at the centre of our Solar System its surface would extend almost out to the orbit of Jupiter.
    I need a lie down.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Some of you might think it funny - but at least spare a thought for poor old HAB , he's been upside down with worry about - well lets just say the 'B' word - shall ?

And no jokes about the Effen Bee - please.

Given its size and mass, Betelgeuse could eventually collapse and explode in a supernova; although this may be many tens of thousands of years away.

If that happens, the spectacle will be visible to the naked eye on Earth, even in daylight.

Ha ha - what will also be apparent is the mega-blaster Gamma Wave from B thats going to rip this solar system in - whoops sorry - musn't tell.

That will happen a lot sooner that 'tens of thousands of years away ...' - much sooner than you think.
      Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 31 July 2009, 11:41.

Comment

Hasn't it already happened?

Speed of light etc....

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
          Hasn't it already happened?

Speed of light etc....
          Ssshh .... please don't spoil HAB's weekend now.
          Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 31 July 2009, 11:42.

Comment

Much sharper picture here. The BBC must have picked the "before" shot.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You should worry about a star a lot closer to home.

Why hasn't there been any sunspots?

The bees know something, I tell ya. Why are they going home?
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Much sharper picture here. The BBC must have picked the "before" shot.
                This artist’s impression shows the supergiant star Betelgeuse as it was revealed thanks to different state-of-the-art techniques on ESO’s Very Large Telescope, which allowed two independent teams of astronomers to obtain the sharpest ever views of the supergiant star Betelgeuse. They show that the star has a vast plume of gas almost as large as our Solar System and a gigantic bubble boiling on its surface. These discoveries provide important clues to help explain how these mammoths shed material at such a tremendous rate.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

The bees know something, I tell ya. Why are they going home?
                  Will they be safe there? If I knew the world was going to end I'd go out for a few ales and a nice steak.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    Will they be safe there? If I knew the world was going to end I'd go out for a few ales and a nice steak.
                    shag
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X