• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Differences between testing and QA in practice - what do people think?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences between testing and QA in practice - what do people think?

For the first time I find myself (TM) in a company where testing and QA seem to be totally seperate. Previously I'vealways thought of them being the same thing, e.g testing with good reporting and continually trying to find ways to improve the testing process.

QA outside of testing just isnt something I've come across, but the past few years i've been in agile environments.

wikipedia: 'Software Testing is a task intended to detect defects in software by contrasting a computer program's expected results with its actual results for a given set of inputs. By contrast, QA (Quality Assurance) is the implementation of policies and procedures intended to prevent defects from occurring in the first place.'

Any thoughts on this, how does QA work generally?

Originally posted by grey_lady View Post

how does QA work generally?
    Not very well usually.

However, in theory testing is a discipline that's part of an organisation's Quality Assurance strategy; other aspects could include selection of suppliers according to a set process, guidelines for providing training to employees, guidelines for systems admin procedures etc etc etc
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by grey_lady View Post
      For the first time I find myself (TM) in a company where testing and QA seem to be totally seperate. Previously I'vealways thought of them being the same thing, e.g testing with good reporting and continually trying to find ways to improve the testing process.

QA outside of testing just isnt something I've come across, but the past few years i've been in agile environments.

wikipedia: 'Software Testing is a task intended to detect defects in software by contrasting a computer program's expected results with its actual results for a given set of inputs. By contrast, QA (Quality Assurance) is the implementation of policies and procedures intended to prevent defects from occurring in the first place.'

Any thoughts on this, how does QA work generally?

I used to be a Test Lead, currently working as a Quality Consultant - lods of clear boundaries and lots of shades of grey all depending on the firm that you are in, plus how they are viewing the areas.

For example, a senior IT manager recently asked me to be responsible for the tesitng of a major project single handed not aware or wanting to pay for the appropriate test resource.

My role is working very closely with the Test Leads and Project Managers to ensure that an appropriate process to development is followed, while not doing the testing itself, although lots of consultancy and training aspects to the role.

Comment

QA in that sense could include code reviews; making sure that preferred technologies have been used and licences have ben paid for; making sure the documentation is in line with whatever standard they're working to that week; maybe some deconfliction with other releases.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
          QA in that sense could include code reviews; making sure that preferred technologies have been used and licences have ben paid for; making sure the documentation is in line with whatever standard they're working to that week; maybe some deconfliction with other releases.
          Testing can include code reviews too.

Comment

QA is a function of Q x A where A= (t/x / S)^3.14
            Bored.

Comment

In the world of Prince II Quality is seperate from technical testing. In this context Quality is the degree to which the completed deliverable meets it's originally specified requirements, not just in terms of performance and execution but also with repsect to it's specified purpose.

In other words, is this deliverable fit for the purpose for which it has been supplied?

Technical testing would take place prior to QA to ensure correct operation. QA ensures that the operations that it perfoms match the original requirements and purpose.

Reading your Wikipedia quote: Testing would ensure that whatever the developers produce, works. QA would ensure that what they produce satisfies the original requirements.
              Last edited by DaveB; 31 July 2009, 13:10.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                making sure that preferred technologies have been used and licences have ben paid for; making sure the documentation is in line with whatever standard they're working to that week
                People make careers out of that? Sounds like something for an office admin clerk to me.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  People make careers out of that? Sounds like something for an office admin clerk to me.
                  Hey, if you get paid well enough, wouldn't you?

Comment

'Testing would ensure that whatever the developers produce, works.
                    QA would ensure that what they produce satisfies the original requirements'

But surely that's the same as verification testing and validation testing?

Thanks for the replies by the way.

Comment

Working...
                    X